Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Totally agree with the above comments, as these binoculars promise so much and at such an amazing price - buyer beware. Would most definitely require a very sturdy tripod as they're far too big for handheld use. 10x 50's are the preferred size or if you really wanted to go a little bigger, you could go for the Celestron Skymaster 15x70 here which many members have and a re good value for money. Would probably still need a tripod of some sort but at a push can be hand held for short periods. There is a review here written by a member here which you might like to read.

James

Three things wrong with these.

1) They're cheap zoom binoculars. A zoom binocular needs a lot of precision to keep the magnifications of both sides the same. That doesn't come cheap, and may not come expensive either.

2) Their numeric designations are incorrect - they do not have 100mm objectives.

3) The second example has bright orange "ruby coated" lenses, terrible for astronomy.

If you want a larger binocular, get a fixed-magnification pair. I can testify the Skymaster 15x70 give a noticable improvement in view over inexpensive 10x50s, albeit with an equally noticable increase in weight.

If you want something with more magnification, get a telescope.

Ive got a pair of Celestron 20 x 80s which are good value for money. They really do need a tripod though. As it happens, Ive just come back in from having a quick wader around the sky wit them this evening. They work prety well on a solid camera tripod, which is much more comfortable to use when you have a convenient seat. A lot of occasional cloud tonight, but still managed to get a look at my perennial favourites, M31 and M13

Dave.

I don't know anything about both those binoculars, but personally I would give them a swerve. As said previously zoom bino's especially in the cheaper price bracket would probably be better avoided. If large binoculars are what you want, I personally would go for 15x70 Celestrons or 15x70 Revelation's, both of which would require a tripod for comfortable prolonged use, these bino's receive positive reviews. Or a set of 10x50 again perfectly usable for astronomy purposes and comfortable to use for longer periods without a tripod, for me anyway.

I think you summed it up correctly in your thread " stay clear of them " if you must have a pair of large bins, which do require a mount of some sort, if only your yard broom, then go for reasonably priced acknowledged brands in the 15x70 range :)

John.

Archived