Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sloppy focuser

Hi folks. I think the topic title says it all really. Quite a lot of play, especially when the focuser is at its furthest extension. Is there anything I can do to remedy this, apart from replacement or upgrading.

Thanks for your time.

Clear skies

You might want to take a look at

his vide from Astronomy shed if you haven't spotted it already as it gives a good explanation of the focuser and how to remedy problems. Hope this is what you are looking for. :smiley:

James

Hi,

I had a similar problem with mine and I fixed it by sticking three thin strips of Teflon tape (something like this .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/heat-vacuum-sealer-packer-PTFE-self-adhesive-Teflon-tape-50-x-0-25mm-per-mtr-/270940226189?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&hash=item3f154bc28d) on the inside of the draw tube (along it's length) so that the space between it and the focuser tube was reduced. It took a bit of trial and error to get the width of the strips correct. I found that if I used strips that were too wide the focuser tube became too stiff.

click on the t in this

i think?

Thats the best hidden link i think i have ever experienced.

I'd also say tighten the tension screws on the focuser base plate to give it more grip with the cogs (teeth) of the focuser.

See the screw marked in red? I say move it to the centre of the focuser base plate (the empty hole)

post-5361-0-30645800-1345063609_thumb.jp

Archived