Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what are these caused by?

They are hot pixels , you didn't take any dark frames to eliminate them I'm guessing.

Steve.

Not convinced to be honest, seen a lot of hot pixels, but never similar groups/patterns like that.

As per James, when do you first see them?

The grouping is identical , leads me to say that the frames weren't shot with accurate tracking , DSS has aligned the stars and therefore the pixels appear to have moved around.

I get the same thing if tracking's off , usually a line of hotties where the scope has drifted , that's what convinced me to start taking dark frames........ :p

Steve.

They look just like hot pixels to me. I've seen the effect when dithering and the SD mask hasn't worked.

Is this a stack of 10 subs ? Does each sub show 1 hot pixel in that area ? Which stacking program ?

If it's not hot pixels then I've no idea.

Dave.

Posted at the same time :) SD mask in Maxim should work with 10 subs but pixel rejection in DSS may not.

i didnt use DSS i used nebulosity3 there not the snigle subs, as for hot pixels the cameras cooled ?? hummm... :icon_scratch:

Cooling does not remove all hot pixels, sorry :)

My Atik at -5 to -10 still has 5 or so hot pixels.

I honestly find DSS to do a better job on hot pixels than Nebulosity, but I might be missing a step in my processing with Neb.

Archived