Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Race against the sun!! Damn!

Bluenosebatty

Got up at 4.15 to go the toilet and there they were...venus. Jupiter and thr moon all nice and bright direct a head of my house and i could see the glow of the sun very slightly starting to rise... so i ran down staires half a sleep grabbed my slippers, unlocked the door, grabbed my scope and wobbled outside with it, come back in for a chair and EPs set up and BOOM! There she was, jupiter and 5 moons i could make out. By this time the sun had creeped a tad higher, i could only very faintly see the redish bands on jupiter. Either because my eps are poor or because the sky wasnt pitch black or my scope was still warm?? Turnd to the moon, looked amazing in the 25mm just fitted in view perfect got that little wow smile on my face. I changed back and forth and swapped eps, all in all a nice little 30 min or so crazy bit of viewing. Now im off back to bed!! Im up on a Stag do in 2 hours!....i .Never thought i would ever say this but "roll on winter!" 8-)

Have a good weekend everyone and clear skies to you all!!

Sounds like a wonderful view, well worth getting up for. Didn't manage it myself but must have a look soon, looks clear tonight too I think.

Just one thing, it will only be 4 moons you see around Jupiter, the other would be a background star which it just happened to be passing, they look very similar.

Enjoy the stag!

Stu

Lovely view this morning,while it lasted.I went out to see if I could spot Mercury (saw it as an evening object at the beginning of April).I think that I might have glimpsed it, but wasn't 100% sure. Greatest elongation is on 16th August,when Mercury will be 19 degrees from the Sun.

Archived