Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear morning (10 Aug) for Lunar and Solar observing

Mark at Beaufort

The Moon was 22 days + this morning and sitting high in a sunny sky. Decided to view the Moon in daylight using the 4" Astro Tech APO frac and binoviewers with 15mm EPs and a 1.6X barlow. Image crystal clear with great views of the Mare Imbrium down to Clavius. Able to study areas on the edge by Mare Orientale. Used the Sky and Telescope (mirror image) map to indentify individual craters and then the Hatfield SCT lunar atlas to study in more detail. Added a few more targets from the Lunar 100 list.

After a few hours of lunar observing added an Orion solar filter to the frac plus 25mm EPs in the binoviewers and put the PST on the other side of the SkyTee mount. Used a green filter to study the surface in white light to get more detail. Great sunspots and surface structure. Viewed with the PST picking up filaments, plage and proms.

Just prove you can have a great session during daylight.

Mark

Sounds like you had a great session Mark. I've got an Astrotech too, cracking scopes I think.

I managed to grab a short look through the PST this afternoon. First time in ages and there seemed to be plenty going on. Not so many large prominences but a lovely big filament plus plenty more to see. Hopefully it will stay clear over the weekend too.

Stu

Even though i was shattered from working nearly 30 hours in the 48, i set my alarm for 0330, as the forcast was for a clear early morning, i got up all bleary eyed, to near full cloud! i made a coffee and 20 minutes later all but clear skies, so i had a good look at the moon, jupiter and venus, also M45..........back to bed now!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived