Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maplins XM21X bench PSU question

gingergeek

Hi all,

Just bought a Maplins XM21X bench PSU (7A) to replace the rubbish Maplins power tank for the garden. Since I'm not very electrically minded but I am minded that I need to not blow things up, can I drive more things other than the mount i.e Canon 1100D, dew heaters etc.

I have started building something similar to the following http://stargazerslou...ry box__st__20 link, not sure what rated wire is used there. This is until I can build a leisure battery box with fuses which I see plenty of forum posts about.

Best Regards

GG

It's claimed that the NEQ6 pro needs a 2A power supply, so you're well under the 7A there. I'd not expect there to be a problem running things like the 1100D from it although the voltage may be somewhat different (I think my 450D is 7.,5V?). If your dew heaters are 12V then it might be easier to power them from the PSU assuming they don't draw too much current and leave the camera on an internal battery. Personally I'd try to stay a decent margin under the 7A rating of the PSU though, "just in case".

James

No idea what the peak amperage is as I've never worked it out. I just did what everyone else was doing! We use a four-way cigarette socket extension then plug everything in.

Just worked it out and the mount is max 3 amp, Atik 314L 0.8 amp, Filter wheel, 0.3 amps and 300 watt dew heater is 0.25 amps. So the max is under 5A. Still room for another heater and camera!!

Thanks Mallorcasaint, Have actually returned the 7A XM21X now for a 15A bench PSU but it is interesting to know you have no issues. However adding up all my peak amps put me at 8.5A ! It may be unlikely however that may occur but I decided to err on the side of caution giving that my dew heaters on full can pull a full 5A... alledgedly !

Plus when I add another scope with ccd and filter wheel then I should be sorted.

Mark

Just worked it out and the mount is max 3 amp, Atik 314L 0.8 amp, Filter wheel, 0.3 amps and 300 watt dew heater is 0.25 amps. So the max is under 5A. Still room for another heater and camera!!

300 watts at 12v would be 25amps :eek: and a bit much for a dew heater! An 8" Kendrick heater band is given as 20watt (1.6 amp). You're still under the 5A with the dew heater on full and everything else running, but only just.

My mistake, the dew heater CAN power up to 5Amps if necessary. I probably would have been fine with the XM21X but I was worried that the 7A rating was not enough in the future when I got more kit and it all starts adding up and other users have the Maplins N31GK. I hate electrics :confused: I guess I should learn this stuff really.

Thankyou to all for the info

Mark

I dislike the switch mode psu for my supply because of the noise they can introduce if the design is poor. I ended up buying the linear 13.8v 10A psu that maplins sell which I can use if I have mains handy or just swop it out for an 85Ahr leisure battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

300 watts at 12v would be 25amps :eek: and a bit much for a dew heater! An 8" Kendrick heater band is given as 20watt (1.6 amp). You're still under the 5A with the dew heater on full and everything else running, but only just.

OOPS! My mistake, of course it would be 25 amps. Fortunately, dew heaters are very low wattage and typically draw around 0.8 amps! I was of couse referring to a 3 watt dew heater! The facts remain the same. The PSU in question is well able to handle what we use.

Archived