NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ordered my first telescope - any eyepieces I should consider?

aurochs

So my first proper telescope is on its way. I've read around the Internet and it seems that it's often suggested to invest in some additional eyepieces.

I chose to buy the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. I am planning on getting a 2x Barlow already, but I wanted to ask about particular eyepieces, if any, I should be considering to purchase? because I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

It would be good to wait until you've got your telescope, as it's already supplied with two eyepieces, 10mm and 25mm. Then you can see where your interests lie, either planetary (so you would need a range of high powered eyepieces, from about 5mm to 13mm), or DSOs (low powered, from 20mm to 40mm).

A Baader Clickstop Zoom will satisfy most needs without having to change eyepieces (it's often the only one I use in a night's observing) but you can pick up far cheaper models (Skywatcher 8-24mm Zoom for £50ish) to see if it suits you whilst still in your early Astronomy days.

Once you find the sweetspot for your observing needs you will likely want a wider field of view from your eyepieces and with some eyepieces offering 100° you can get a nice wide view of your targets but this sort of specification gets expensive so try to look out for bargain second hand ones - they frequently appear in the classifieds on this site and as with most scientific instruments they are well cared for so well worth looking out for one you might fancy.

If you really want to save pennies though search for GSO or Skywatcher eyepieces.

as you have a dob, I'd recommend the purchase of a Telrad (or other good quality red dot finder) and star guide (I use the Sky&Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas) first. you can find a seat from the house to use - seated observing is best. a barlow would be a decent purchase but not essential initially as the provided eyepieces will suit you for a while. if you can afford to buy a right angle correct image finder (6x30 or 9x50) this will provide much more rewarding observing then any eyepieces in my experience. you can have all the eyepieces you like but if you cannot get objects into the field of view easily and relatively quickly, you will not benefit from them.

eventually you can buy further eyepieces but tere's no rush and there's also a very active used market which I use when looking for new equipment of most kinds.

A general comment on the standard EPs supplied with the SW 200 is that the 25mm is good and the 10mm is not so good.

Well some regard the 10mm as a dust plug with glass insert.

See how you go with the standard stuff before spending any more.

Eyepieces are very much a personal thing. Some (like me) prefer a long eye relief. Others don't mind.

If you want to look at planets in detail, a wide fov is not important, but internal reflections are.

If you buy used, rather than new, you reduce the risk. You can usually sell on with little or no loss.

Use Astrobuysell or the classifieds here (when you get the post count). Beware the bay offerings.

Having said buy used. Some retailers will let you return an EP if you don't get on with it.

I had this offer from FLO on a Baader Hyperion. It didn't go back and I bought more!

Lots of sound advice here. The zoom eyepiece sounds great and the red dot finder too. Maybe I have overthought it though, and I should wait until I actually have the scope and have used it. Thanks.

+ 1 see what you think of those supplied first, you may absolutely love the 25mm, it is a decent enough e.p. to be starting out with. I think as a general rule people with fast dobs / reflectors have to be wary of buying at the very cheap side of the market as the scope can be less forgiving those e.p's, distortion of view towards the edge of views etc. When you are ready to upgrade eyepieces have a good read through the eyepiece discussions section, lots to be learned on here. Saying that though the BST's are really good for the money.

+ 1 see what you think of those supplied first, you may absolutely love the 25mm, it is a decent enough e.p. to be starting out with. I think as a general rule people with fast dobs / reflectors have to be wary of buying at the very cheap side of the market as the scope can be less forgiving those e.p's, distortion of view towards the edge of views etc. When you are ready to upgrade eyepieces have a good read through the eyepiece discussions section, lots to be learned on here. Saying that though the BST's are really good for the money.

While I agree with you there, it takes the buying of better quality eyepieces (usually) to see that the supplied MAs aren't as good. Then once you've seen that, there isn't really any going back.

Before too many posts of wait, you don't know what you are doing and learn first come out, this is not actually the OP's first scope, they have had one previously.

The question is looks a well balanced and sensible one of "what should I consider", not what do I rush out and buy with no experience of scopes at all.

I think assumptions are being made that aurochs is somewhat inexperienced and that they are likely to go out and purchase the first eyepiece they hear of. This post and the previous they have made actually indicate otherwise.

I suspect that the title may have been better as "Updated from my old scope to a 200P, any eyepieces I should consider for this scope?"

I like the Baader Hyperions in my 200P dob. Their 68 degree FOV suits the dob and their modular design, using fine tuning rings, means I can tweak my EPs for the viewing conditions. Not too bad on price and they do come up secondhand too.

Before too many posts of wait, you don't know what you are doing and learn first come out, this is not actually the OP's first scope, they have had one previously.

The question is looks a well balanced and sensible one of "what should I consider", not what do I rush out and buy with no experience of scopes at all.

I think assumptions are being made that aurochs is somewhat inexperienced and that they are likely to go out and purchase the first eyepiece they hear of. This post and the previous they have made actually indicate otherwise.

I suspect that the title may have been better as "Updated from my old scope to a 200P, any eyepieces I should consider for this scope?"

This is exactly right, I was just looking for an general idea of what I might like to consider.

It's true though that using the telescope first has been helpful. I took it out last night but it was somewhat cloudy and still relatively light (between 10:45 and 12 midnight) so I really didn't see much other than stars. I realised that I definitely want a higher power than the 10mm.

For certain I am very interested in the right-angle finder as well, as the standard finder scope on the dob was painfully awkward to use (Because of the viewing orientation, I wasn't expecting it to have crosshairs so that aspect of it was a nice surprise). Maybe I could put it up on a table, but a right-angled finder would be incredibly worthwhile. Where might I buy a good quality one?

Thanks.

This is exactly right, I was just looking for an general idea of what I might like to consider.

It's true though that using the telescope first has been helpful. I took it out last night but it was somewhat cloudy and still relatively light (between 10:45 and 12 midnight) so I really didn't see much other than stars. I realised that I definitely want a higher power than the 10mm.

For certain I am very interested in the right-angle finder as well, as the standard finder scope on the dob was painfully awkward to use (Because of the viewing orientation, I wasn't expecting it to have crosshairs so that aspect of it was a nice surprise). Maybe I could put it up on a table, but a right-angled finder would be incredibly worthwhile. Where might I buy a good quality one?

Thanks.

I can vouch for the right angled finder, it's a fantastic accessory and means you don't get neck ache amymore. I bought this one for my 200p dob...

http://www.harrisont...___Bracket.html

i didn't even bother trying the supplied one out as i had heard so many people saying they didn't llke it. BTW you shouldn't need to put the dob on a table i do all my observing using a simple, wooden outdoor chair from our table and chair set and manage to stay seated even when pointing the scope at the zenith. Good luck with your new toy :)

Hi having purchased our scope this spring I would suggest based on my experience:

1st - unless you are really strong muscle wise and can hold yourself rock solid in different positions, make sure ASAP you have a suitable seat, somethig height adjustable so you can view seated. I think drum stools are cheap and popular although I have used a sit / stand office chair. This was the single most improving thing I did, as it kept me steady for viewing.

Use what you have for a while then get either a high mag ( 8mm or less depending on your situation) if you think you want to see planets better as a priority or a cheap zoom if you want to continue seeing a mix of stuff.

As soon as you want to find anything beyond planets get a Telrad & use it with maps (either book or a smartphone app like SKeye)

Then as you get used to what you want to see more - DSO's etc. buy more expensive EP's according to that.

I made the mistake of getting a decent 10mm straight away to replace the rubbish ( I was told) supplied 10mm but was so inexperenced I could hardly tell the differnce. Depending on conditions

• 3 weeks later...

I've just gotten a SW200 and was thinking the same thing as the OP. Looks like I'll have to reign in my excitement and go for the seat (I hear that ironing seats are the business), a Telrad and a RA Finder for now. The sky is looking good here tonight so hopefully I'll my first light.

Archived