Total Beginner binos or scope advice please

Hi there, im totally new to astronomy, i have been looking at the advice given and binoculars seems to be a great start, the only problem i have is im practically blind in one eye so when using binoculars in the past i tend to shut that eye anyway.

Should I be looking for a good starter scope or are binos the way to go still.

Thanks

Zac

Hi Zac, I started buy just looking up with my eyes, learning some constallations, then using binos on targets like Orion, andromeda, the great cluster in hurcules, Jupiter.

However it wasn't long before I wanted a telescope. I think either will a great start.

The amount of stars revealed through binos is amazing.

Chris

Binos have a wider field of view and lower magnification, so it's much easier to find what youre looking for. If you could find a monocular with about 8 x 50 or 10 x 50, then that may work, but I suspect they may be more expensive than a pair of binoculars.

I got a pair of Nikon 10 x 50 binocs for £70,

Hi Zac

I have a lazy eye that is almost useless myself so can fully appreciate your dilemma. I do use bins myself although often wonder if I'm really getting the benefit. However they still give me great views and I certainly wouldn't let it put you off.

If you wish to start by using bins then I reckon "go for it"

You can get a very respectable pair of Rocktrail 10x50's from Liddl for around £15 so you don't need a massive outlay. I'd be tempted to get a good basic scope as well if I were yourself - the Skywatcher 130P newtonian on an equatorial mount is a good first instrument - alternatively a 150P on a dobsonian mount will give pleasing views for a similar price range. All depends on your budget really. Have a look at First Light Optics website for ideas and prices. :)

I've looked into this before because my mum similarly only has sight in one eye.

First light optics offer the Hawke NatureTrek 10x50 monocular for £50, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/hawke/hawke-naturetrek-monocular.html , and the company's owner has stated he considers it a better option in general than £50 binoculars. No collimation issues, that's for sure. Scopes 'n' skies have a Barr & Stroud and a Helios model, similar-looking to the HatureTrek and also around £50, while Sherwoods Photo have a porro-prism 10x50 that's just £30, http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/optical_hardware/optical_hardware_monocular_fs.htm I've no first-hand experience with any of these.

Just to differ I would suggest something like a small scope of one variety or another. Always like the 80mm achro's as a starter, perhaps look at the Opticstar AR80's they have, however they seem to have the AR80S's in stock and not the longer AR80's.

With 2 or 3 eyepieces these would enable a few decent magnifications.

I do not see it as a choice between one or the other. A telescope and binoculars are different instruments and perform in different aspects. So not alternatives to each other. I have binoculars that range from 8x to 20x with different objetive sizes. They are OK for "informal" viewing, but for astronomy I take a scope everytime.

Hi Zac.

Given the fact that you are practically blind in one eye, i dont think that binoculars will be of any use to you. By this i mean you simply will not be able to appreciate the widefield binocular view through them, so you may as well just jump right in and get a telescope that you can use to the maximum.

Binoculkar astronomy and telescope astronomy really are two very different things.

The most commonly bought "starter" scope is the Skywatcher Explorer 130P.

http://www.firstligh...lorer-130p.html

A great scope by all accounts.

If your 9 yr old is joining you then perhaps the Skywatcher Heritage 130P Dob scope is a better option. Its so simple to setup and use.

Hi Zac.

Given the fact that you are practically blind in one eye, i dont think that binoculars will be of any use to you. By this i mean you simply will not be able to appreciate the widefield binocular view through them, so you may as well just jump right in and get a telescope that you can use to the maximum.

Binoculkar astronomy and telescope astronomy really are two very different things.

The most commonly bought "starter" scope is the Skywatcher Explorer 130P.

http://www.firstligh...lorer-130p.html

A great scope by all accounts.

If your 9 yr old is joining you then perhaps the Skywatcher Heritage 130P Dob scope is a better option. Its so simple to setup and use.

Thats what I thought, having to close one eye anyway I didnt really see the point in getting a set of bins, can I ask with the Dobs can you take these outside or are they indoor use only?

All scopes are outside use really - you can't see the sky indoors and it's pointless looking through a window (open or closed) cos you're views will be spoiled by warm air currents or the window itself. Also tracking and goto systems will be rendered unusable. You need to be outside whatever mount (dob or eq) that you have. :)

The 150P being a larger aperture than the 130P will see deeper in to space so you'll pick out more dso's with it. All planets will be visible in either scope but bear in mind some are easy to spot and others represent considerable challenge (eg pluto). You need to know how to find some of them - but that said - you need to learn how to find dso's too.

Some elementary photography is possible with an eq mount and tracking motors - but the dobsonians are not designed to track for imaging though some folks have managed quick snapshots. I started with the manual 150P on an EQ mount and it really is a very nice starter scope - on a dobsonian base it will be manual searching in altitude and azimuth whereas the EQ works in Right Acension and Declination.

Hope that helps :)

Well we've plumped for the skwatcher heritage 130p, basically it gets us looking at the basics and by all accounts it looks simple to use, which being a total beginner i find appealing, we bought it over at the SBTC in stockport, plenty of lovely looking scopes for future investment (wife is tutting as I type) but this gets my lad and I going which is great. Plus point for me too is we like camping and this will pack away nicely :grin:

Nice choice Jezza - sounds Ideal for the pair of you - take a look in the star parties section and come to an astronomy camp - you and your lad will love it - Kelling is coming up in September plus Peak Star Party shortly after - SGL8 is a good one too if you can get to it :)

Archived