Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are there any targets that plossls are particulary good for?

Rogering1

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a Pentax XW 7mm and also a 32mm GSO supeview plus a generic SPL eyepiece,

I'm now trying to figure out if I keep any of my original GSO Plossl from 5 to 20mm in my case.

I've heard that Jupiter is very good with a Plossl, are there any targets that plossls are particulary good for?

Many thanks

The plossl is a decent all round eyepiece at a lowish cost. The GSO plossls are nicely made examples of this design but, as I expect you have found, the Pentax XW is superior in many ways. It's worth keeping the plossls that fill gaps but don't keep anything that duplicates the XW's focal length as the Pentax will provide better views of all object types.

I expect you will soon be wanting some more XW's - they are superb eyepieces :smiley:

I have never used a Pentax but prefer simpler designs for lunar observing. I choose a 12.5mm BGO or 15mm plossl over my 13mm Ethos for the moon every time even with a manual mount. I also use a 32mm plossl on the sun and this works very well indeed.

Plossls are good because they are lightweight and reasonably priced. If you have duplicate focal lengths and one is a Plossl, the other a Pentax XW, it's obvious which one you should keep :). Good quality eyepieces should show the same level of detail and clarity etc. on every object.

I have found that I nearly always use my 24mm ES 68 degree and my 12mm radian. Neither of which are plossls. I have super plossls too which I use rarely but no standard plossls. They are good all rounders but many people end up using more exotic designs sooner or later

Plossl's are good ep's, the 32mm is a particular gem, good for star fields etc, whilst other such as the 12.5mm and the 15mm are superb for double stars etc and planets, though BGO's get good reviews here, though I have not tried them personally. Plossl's are also good for lunar work.

Archived