Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How much on Ebay, Celestron 8 f10?

They claim to have put an 8" Celestron on the Meade ETX 90 base? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

An ETX 90 is 3.54 inches diameter. :Envy:

How the hell is that base supposed to handle and drive an 8" scope?

The blurb is a bit out of date as Celestron is now owned by Synta and is not a privately owned company any more. It is a subsiduary of a Chinese company.

I noticed the bit that says:

"We would also like to mention that although the portable drive unit does have Autostar we do not have the software to supply."

The base unit does not have Autostar, Autostar is as best I know the handset and the software in that.

Still do not see how they got an 8" Celestron in the forks of an ETX-90, especially as I have an ETX-105 (bigger) and the space between the 2 forks is almost exactly 6".

I would say there is something very much wrong there, it doesn't make sense.

Someone go post this on Cloudy Nights, that would be amusing to see the replies from them.

Did someone have their telescope nicked? It's sold by cash generator after all.

The fork looks like a LX90 fork, not ETX 90. Autostar controller is missing. It's odd someone would put a Celestron OTA on a Meade fork. It makes me wonder what happened to the original Meade OTA. One possibility is the scope have been dropped and the LX90 SCT was smashed. The owner then replaced the OTA with a used C8. If that is the case than the drive gears is likely to be damaged.

If the item is genuine and not stolen good, I reckon it would worth about £550. £200 for the camera, £300 for the OTA because of the lack of history, unknown condition and unknown age. £50 for the accessories.

But honestly I would avoid this, because the scope has parts missing which suggest it hasn't been well look after.

This looks to me like the pet project of an amateur astronomer who fell on hard times and had to pawn his gear to make ends meet. Or it could be bits thrown together from parts acquired via dodgey sources. Either way it just doesn't look or sound right - if it was a car I'd be breaking for spares and wouldn't punt more than a £100 on it. Imho avoid like the plague :)

Archived