Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some gems to the south.

cotterless45

After setting up and fighting the mozzies with the other hand, decided to view to the south and look for a few new challenges.

NGC6934 lies in a line of 3 stars at x48, it's small and compact.

NGC6709 is a fine and bright open cluster in Aguila, it looks like a diamond ring with tails of stars.

M2 sits on one edge of a triangle at x48.

NGC7009 was too low in the fug of light to catch.

M15 was nice and high, just shy of Enif ( brightest star in Pegasus), in the middle of a Y shaped star group. At x300 it was quite spread out with an interesting core.

M71 in Sagitta is easy to find between the two main stars, at x48 it appears as a delicate mist of powder puff intensity ( steady on! ).

I tried for 2 planetaries in Delphinus NGC6905 and 6891, but again too fuggy.

NGC6756 an open cluster to Aquila appeared as a lizard shape on a log, it wasn't grand.

IC4756 in Serpens Cauda was stunning at x40, held within a trapezium , it filled the fov. Then to nearby .

NGC6633 a mag 4.6 cluster in Ophiuchus, a flowing cascade of stars at x30.

M11 was behind a huge tree, which appeared to block the view.

IC4665 is a nice bright filled rectangle with a tail.

The sky was not as good as it has been, but all of these above are quite easily found, even from the fug of surburbia.I swung over to Cassiopeia and had a good hour fighting mozzies and looking at the many clusters in this part of the Milky Way.

Nick.

Ta, I make a list of challenges, the biggest one is trying to keep out of the way of the 7 neighbouring street lights. The beard helps with mozzies and keeping Aunt Sally at bay, must get some Jungle juice and some s l e e p.

Nick.

That's an interesting collection of objects. I was looking at M71 last night also - your description is spot on! But at around 100x even in my 4" a surprising amount of the cluster is resolvable.

andrew

Nice collection of stuff there. The two Aquila open clusters are on my 'to do' list, together with NGC 7009, the Saturn nebula.

I did have ten minutes with the bins last night trying to peer over the tree-line at Sagittarius but the sky was not as clear this way either, although I did find M26 in Scutum for the first time: A very ghostly smudge at best, compared to its more illustrious neighbour M11.

Clear skies!

Archived