Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Not long to go now!!!!!!

Huzzah,

The new scope is gonna be here in a couple of days, so I am currently in full excitement mode. Although having just come back from Mallorca and lovely clear skies and 30 degree temps, the weather back in the UK is still hit and miss. The warmth is welcome, but the cloud is still hanging around a little too much for my liking. It was a clear as a bell yesterday as we flew over Basingstoke on our way back to Manchester airport. Could see the Milennium Dome (O2 Arena) and the Thames estuary in the distance from 37,000 feet.

Well, full first light report to follow when I have the thing set-up, pointed at something interesting and the clouds do not conspire against me. Heres hoping!!!!!

Well Mr Fedex man came knocking at 8'o clock this morning with 3 boxes. I expected the ota to be packed separately, but I wasn't expecting the weight of the mount and tripod to be as heavy as it was. Blimey it weighs a ton. I am more than used to carrying heavy items though as I used to play drums in a band and was always carting my gear to rehearsals and gigs. I must say though that in hindsight, yeah, it needs to be a meaty/chunky affair as it has to carry the ota, counterweights and associated items and track as smoothly as possible, so it is reasuring to know that the tripod/mount combo is going to be up to the job.

I suppose I was using my 127 SLT as a barometer, but the new scope is a total step up in every regard. This is a true telescope whereas my 127 SLT while being a very good piece of kit could be regarded as a bit of a toy in comparison.

Archived