Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece advice

Hey Guys,

I have a Skyliner 150p Dob 6"

I'm looking to buy a more high quality eyepiece for my Skyliner.

After reading a lot of numerous posts which have helped a lot, it has narrowed my choice to probably getting a celestron x-cel.

I'm aiming to use this on Planets mostly and by the sound of it, an 8mm might be my best bet (even though i can only find 7 and 9mm).

Does anyone have any reccomendations on what would be the best? I'm sure you guys have a better idea than i do. Also on a side note i'm probably going to buy this from Amazon or Ebay, if you know any better places in the UK, i would be grateful :)

Thanks a lot guys, always appriciate the nice members on this forum! :D

I've just bought the 12mm x-cel from FLO, arrived very quickly and at a very good price. Not had the opportunity to use it yet though. Amazon and eBay aren't the best place to buy new astro stuff, plenty of good dedicated astro shops, FLO are the best for price on the x-cel at £69.

you can get 8mm in the starguider range (old bst explorer) they are pretty good eyepieces for under £50.

http://www.ebay.co.u...kw=bst explorer this is the ebay shop of skies the limit.

here is his shop http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/

i think the tmb planetary e/p;s are supposed to be good too.but i cant personally comment ive not used them.

Thanks for the great advice guys. Thats really helped me get an idea about what one to buy :) Your suggestions are brilliant and the ones under 50£ are very tempting ! :D

BST eyepieces are great to use. Excellent views and feel well made. Starguider labelled ep's just a re-brand after a legal squabble over the use of the "BST Explorer" name. Same ep, different name thats all.

25mm is still only £41 and the rest in the range are a very reasonable £47.

Dave

Don't buy celestron x-cel, they are quite poor in fast scopes and there are better choice out there. They have been discontinued but a few retailers still have old stock and there are used one popping up every so often. The coating dissolved and came off when I cleaned the eyelens of mine with Pac pad and Eclipse (lens cleaning alcohol). BST should be a better choice.

The vastly improved replcaement model, the X-cel LX will be much better. I suspect jabbawocky's eyepiece is a LX because FLO doesn't sell X-cel anymore.

+ 1 for the BST 8mm this is a great ep for planetary observations and works well with my Barlow x2. I have a 15mm vixen and it's great. Never tried any higher power npl so can't really comment. I have never regretted buying my BST 8mm great ep that utilises ed glass in its construction, I think this helps clarity.

Archived