Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescopes and the law..

prasadka

Hi,

I have a fundamental question here. What does the law say about using them in the back garden? Can a cynical neighbour report us for "possibly" attempting to peek into his bedroom? (logic would dictate that you can't see that far in the dark albeit using a scope.)

Cheers.

Prasad

If you were to be reported for some form of unsavory act regarding an optical instrument.. :wink:

Then the attending officer would no doubt question you and look through the optical device to see whether the offense could be committed.

If by proving that it would be physically impossible to view a person or persons at that distance with that optical device then common sense should prevail and the officer should have a chat with the person who has made the complaint and explain the situation. They may even ask the person to look through the instrument to collaborate the evidence.

I can understand you concerns..But as long as you are using the telescope for the purpose intended you have nothing to worry about..

What gives you cause for concern??

Have you a problem with a neighbour??

In my case the officer would look at the neighbour icon_porc and suggest that nobody in their right mind would even suggest such a thing.

:D:lol:

Probably get arrested under the mental health act 1983... :wink:

Or arrested for you own safety... 8)

If the neighbours were cavorting about in their bedroom at night with the windows open practicing the Kama Sutra, I would complain to the authorities they were ruining my dark adaption, and my photos.

There are people like that you know, no thought for anyone else. :wink:

Ron. :D

Prasad, if you're able to see whats going on in a neighbours house whilst looking at an inverted and upside down image (assuming you're using a reflector) without feeling ill then I'd be impressed! Many years ago when I got my first scope I mentioned to my neighbours that I was into astronomy etc. Several looked sceptical so I invited them around and showed them the view of one of the neighbours attic room (the only one visible). Once they'd seen the view was upside down etc they weren't worried...

James

If the neighbours were cavorting about in their bedroom at night with the windows open practicing the Kama Sutra, I would complain to the authorities they were ruining my dark adaption, and my photos.

There are people like that you know, no thought for anyone else. :D

Ron. :lol:

If it was Kama Sutra night Ron, I don't supposes they would have a thought for anyone else.....unless it was one of those group sessions! :wink: (Thinks.....where does Ron live again?)

CW

In my case the officer would look at the neighbour and suggest that nobody in their right mind would even suggest such a thing.

lol kaptain, made my night that one. You could I suppose invite that neighbour to come and see for themselves what you are doing, however, just make sure you never point the scope directly at their window especially if they happen to be looking out with a camera. My neighbour makes a point of putting her lights on outside when she sees me, the shouting of "thanks a******e normally gets them turned off

Prasad, if you're able to see whats going on in a neighbours house whilst looking at an inverted and upside down image (assuming you're using a reflector) without feeling ill then I'd be impressed! Many years ago when I got my first scope I mentioned to my neighbours that I was into astronomy etc. Several looked sceptical so I invited them around and showed them the view of one of the neighbours attic room (the only one visible). Once they'd seen the view was upside down etc they weren't worried...

James

Well, yeah, but you can take a picture and enjoy it right side up! Didn't tell them that, did you?

There was a specimen who seemed to be advertising his scope on Ebay, suggesting that it could be used to look at people's private moments. Don't know how well he did.

KK, you must have the same neighbour as me :wink: built like a sumo wrestler and talks like Billy Connelly she thinks she is real hard.."gonnae no stare at ma windae wae that ya effin bassa" ,so i did what any decent neighbour would do.....i phoned the RSPCA to report a beached whale :D

KK, you must have the same neighbour as me :wink: built like a sumo wrestler and talks like Billy Connelly she thinks she is real hard.."gonnae no stare at ma windae wae that ya effin bassa" ,so i did what any decent neighbour would do.....i phoned the RSPCA to report a beached whale :D

:lol::grin::D:grin:

Firstly, thanks for the many responses.

Greg,

What gives you cause for concern??

Have you a problem with a neighbour??

I dont have any funny neighbout..I was speaking to my office security, about bringing my scope into the work site (I have a major upgrade coming up and wanted to have a bit of diversion for the team handy) and asked for permission. I was asked to keep away from the side from where I could see the neighbouring flats' windows because I could get reported. This is what got me worried, coz I can easily see windows from my garden..

And, that I dont need a telescope to peek at my neighbours' windows is a different point altogether.

Regards,

Prasad

I was asked to keep away from the side from where I could see the neighbouring flats' windows because I could get reported.

That's probably your employers not wanting any trouble...Which is fair enough..

Don't worry about using it in you garden...Honest..

Greg

Archived