Netbook capability advice please?

Leebert

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting something compact to take out when imaging. Currently I use an old-ish 17" Laptop that is huge, slow and doesn't last long on battery.

There seem to be quite a few well priced Netbooks out there of similar specs ranging from single core Intel Atom 1.5GHz to AMD C50 dual core 1 GHz machines. Both usually come with 1Gb RAM and Win 7 (32 or 64 bit).

Would this sort of spec be okay to run cdc, PHD and possibly registax if I am using the webcam for imaging?

Many thanks,

Lee

I am thrilled with my Toshiba NB 550 .

I did a large amount of research before purchasing it.

It handles HD video processing extremely efficiently.

I put a 4gb stick of ram in it and hacked windows 7 32bit to accept the extra ram.

I've just bought an Asus 'Eee PC Seashell Series' Netbook from PC World. Intel Atom 1.6 GHz with 1 Gig of Ram. I've had PHD running at the same time as Artemis Capture with my QHY5, Atik 383L+ and EFW 2 filterwheel all plugged in and running. Very pleased with it!

All works in 32 bit as well (most Netbooks come with Windows 7 Starter which is 32 bit).

I am using a 10" Samsung NC10 to guide my Skywatcher AZ GOTO - works perfectly and has good battery life.

If you do decide to go for a pre-owned one check to make sure it doesn't suffer from the "White Screen of Death" as per the Wiki info:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_NC10

A DIY fix is possible but I was quoted £30 by my local independant computer dealer should I ever need to have a replacement cable fitted.

For a review see:-

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Samsung-NC10---10-2in-Netbook_Laptop_review

Hope this helps

I have brought a HP Mini 10.1 a few weeks back from Argos when my old dual core lappy died. Originally brought the ASUS V2 but the power connectors where very flimsy so I took it back for another which had the same problem so went with the HP Mini then. The issue with the connecotrs is that the slighest movement will flick the mains supply to battery and back again constantly.

For £220 the HP Mini is very good and I regularly get 12hours battery use out of it and the power connector is much bigger and stronger. It runs EQMod,CdC,and PHD, Sharpcap quite well though stellarium does lag a little if you switch on loads of data.

If it's a cheap 2nd hand then look at Morgans they have a deal on this week for notebooks

Archived