SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does saturn get any higher?

tyler_jrb

I think that's -11 deg declination next year :sad: And it doesn't reach its lowest pass (furthest south) until 2018; time to move south. It'll be great in 2032 from the northern hemisphere, though :p

Yes, for those of us who don't live in the southern hemisphere Saturn is going to get progressively lower in the sky over the next few years unfortunately, though it has been much higher earlier this year than it is now. If only I'd known I'd have taken astronomy up years ago when it was looking really good. Still, if the weather doesn't improve soon I might have to migrate to the southern hemisphere anyhow :)

James

Saturn, like all the planets, the sun, and the moon, travels along the ecliptic. Saturn will be highest in the sky when it's a winter object and lowest when it's a summer object. Right now it's a summer object and never gets up very high. Jupiter is a winter object right now, so it gets higher in the sky. Details about the moon here: http://www.aaa.org/membersarticle02

Aww that sucks. One of the main reasons i've been looking at getting a telescope is to see saturn for myself.

So, does this mean that one wont get a decent view of this planet in the uk for quite some time then ?

Sorry for the dumb question, i have no idea how it all works, hence why im thinking of taking this casual pastime to the next level and educate myself a lot more

Depends what you mean by "decent", I guess. Over the next few years it's certainly going to be harder to get a decent view unless you're in the southern hemisphere, yes, and the window of opportunity is shorter.

James

Aww that sucks. One of the main reasons i've been looking at getting a telescope is to see saturn for myself.

You will see it each year, but not at it's best from the northern hemisphere. But it will definitely be worth observing, so please don't give up on Saturn :rolleyes:

And there is so much else to point a telescope at, while we wait all those years for Saturn to ride high in our winter skies again.

Regards, Ed.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep going with Saturn, you still have a bit of time left. Jupiter is going to be extremely well placed this year, so that would make a superb target for the next few months. In the meantime, now is a great time to start exploring the deep sky and going for the outer planets (Uranus and Neptune) as both are going to reach opposition in either this month or next. Mercury should also be on show soon.

Archived