Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Elusive Tal Barlow

webboid

Well I have been searching for several months now for the highly recommended Tal 2x barlow

I thought I had found a retailer who had it in stock. So rushed to their store only to find that he had made a mistake & didn't have it in stock. :huh:

However he reassured me he could get one. A week and a half later I call him and he says he'll look into it. Later that day he called back to confirm that they have now been discontinued. :huh: :huh: :huh:

So my question is:

As I would like a better barlow and all the recommended mid priced ones seem to be discontinued or out off stock (so probably discontinued) what would you guys recommend? I guess I may have to pay more now but advice please

BTW I have an Explorer 200P Meade 5000 14mm, Meade 5000 HD60 18mm + sw standard 10 & 25mm eyepieces

Thanks

The Celestron Ultima and Tele Vue barlows are excellent (a touch better again than the TAL) but they do cost a lot more. I've used a Revelation 2.5x barlow a bit lately and that seems pretty good for it's £35 cost.

Finally, thanks spec, just ordered a TAL barlow from rother valley! Checked stock and they have them in, probably been searching for 3 months with 2 failed orders due to discontinuation.

As you have a couple of Meade eyepieces why don't you go for the Bresser tele-extender, which is the Meade tele-ex with and dress change. I have tried the 2 inch X2 and it is as good as my X2 Powermate at less cost.

Alan.

Thanks guys for your comments

Rother valley seem to be sold out now

I think I may invest my money in eyepieces instead, at least then I won't get any of the downsides of barlow optics.

As I understand barlows introduce more glass & effectively double your focal length so reduce the light capture on both fronts

I'm not sure that increasing focal length reduces light, tho I could be wrong. The extra glass is undeniable but rarely noticed with decent optics. The meade #126 barlow was recommended in sky at night this month, I had one on order (£32) until I found the Tal in stock.

I just think getting a barlow is a good investment, if its good enough quality to hold on to then every time you add to your EP collection you're essentially getting two new lenses. Also for people like me with 'smaller' scopes its allows much higher magnification while holding onto some acceptable level of eye relief and a decent size lense to look through. Before I got the barlow, to get 200x mag i had a 3.5mm EP with a ridiculously small lens that you had to practically press your eyeball against. Now I can get over 200x with a 6mm EP that is comfortable to use and the views are miles better.

Well i phoned Rother Valley up yesterday afternoon lateish and they had three Tal 2x barlows left so i had one and it arrived first thing this morning.

So thats another bit added already :smiley:

Archived