What telescope?

Hi, i've only just joined SGL and I am about to buy my first telescope since an home made 4 inch newtonian when I was a kid. My budget is about £700 and I was aiming for as near to a general purpose 'scope as possible. My thoughts were a Sky watcher 200p EQ5 pro Syn Scan, I appreciate that a HEQ5 mount would be more substantial but it's also around £200 more expensive. Any eventual astro photography would be planets,moon, and perhaps a piggy-backed SLR as I am more interested in observing. Does this sound a reasonable proposition?

Combining the need of both observing and imaging is always a tricky one, not so much from the scope point of view but certainly when considering which mount. Imaging planets and the moon can be performed via a webcam and so therefore tracking accuracies etc are not of any consideration. Imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebula requires a different set of considerations because being so faint, they will require very accurate tracking in order to take longer exposures that will contain enough data to process the final image. If you are entertaining this level of imaging, the HEQ5 is the minimum. It has a better payload (should never exceed half that quoted for imaging) and also has the facility to allow an autoguider (small scope focused on a nearby star to the target) to be attached in order to make micro adjustments to the motors so that you can improve the tracking capabilities of the mount to secure those longer exposures.

So in conclusion, if you want to observe or to image the solar system via a webcam, your suggestion above would work. If you have any designs on wanting to extend your desires for imaging towards DSO's then the HEQ5 is the minimum. Hope that helps.

James

I think the 200p is well regarded as a scope and the aperture will certainly give you a great range of targets, visually and for imaging. The EQ5 shoudl be fine for visual use, but if you really want to do astrophotography, you might want to save for a wee bit longer and go for the heavier mount though. Might be able to get a decent one second hand on ebay or astrobuysell (or evn the classifieds here) - they do crop up from time to time.

EDIT - James's email says it all :). Obviously got to the send button before me ;).

If you're more interested in visual observing and have only vague plans for AP then why not buy an 8" or 10" Dob first? Spend the cash you save on nicer eyepieces. You can still do webcam AP of at least the moon if not also planets.

I see you are in Exeter, look up FLO's address and pay them a visit.

I know their showroom isn't open yet but they will be able to advise you prety good.

They are at present operating as an internet outlet so not really set up for people

Another alternative is wait until the SW Astro Fair at Sidmouthe (Norman Lockyear Obs) and drop in there to see what is around. It is a daylight affair but people, retailers, and equipment should be on show, Think it is Aug 11, http://www.normanlockyer.com/

FLO will be there as well I expect, however a wander to their premesis might be good assuming they are not too busy to talk for 10-15 minutes.

I had no idea astrobuysell existed. Thanks for that link! Any other classified type sites would be more than welcome :) I've got an 8" newt on a dob atm, but I'd like to get an 80mm ed apo, preferably used!

Sky watcher 200p EQ5 pro Syn Scan - nice scope.

Some great results at planetary webcam imaging with that scope and the bigger aperture will help with visual. HOWEVER! You'll struggle with DSO imaging with that set=up; the mount is not capable enough for DSO imaging with that scope. I know it is out of budget, but have you considered the 150p on an EQ5 pro? http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-eq-5-pro-goto.html

That gives you a good starter scope and a mount that will be capable of DSO imaging in the future.

OR

Give serious consideration to the Celestron C6-NGT http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-series-goto/celestron-c6-n-gt-goto.html

This was the first scope I bought when my interest in astronomy was rekindled. Again a decent all-rounder scope on a mount that I still use for DSO imaging today (even though I also have a CGEM DX...) The 8" http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-series-goto/celestron-c8-n-gt-goto.html version is only a little over budget, but again I think you'll struggle to do DSO imaging with that scope / mount combo.

I seems that serious DSO imaging is out of the question anyway, apart from the mount a CCD camera or DSLR adds meggabucks to the budget and observing is my main interest, I think my imaging ambitions would be limited to planets and lunar. I will be going to the Astronomy Fair at Norman Lockyer Observatory on 11/08/2012 and will see FLO there, unless I'm lucky enough to pick up some decent second hand equipment beforehand. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

It's a nice combo and I am quite please with my first efforts with the same set up and using a webcam, you can see some in my gallery. They are not very good but I have a lot to learn and found it quite exciting seeing the results.

OK, I've taken on board the advice about the mount and bought a second hand HEQ5 pro syn scan, the 200p would still be almost within budget. what pitfalls do you recon there would be if I eventually used it for trying to photograph DSOs. I have a film camera which is suitable (Minolta srt101) t mount etc but I would try piggy backing this initially. My question is more about the OTA and what success others are having using it for imaging DSOs,

I have a film camera which is suitable (Minolta srt101) t mount etc but I would try piggy backing this initially.

I would suggest you use CCD. I know film still has some adherents in terrestrial photography, but for AP film would be far more work. Obviously there's the issue of not immediately seeing you're results. That would greatly increase the learning time. More importantly, CCDs are much more sensitive. Getting good results with film will require exposures in the tens of minutes. In a tenth of the time a CCD will produce a better image. So guiding is a lot easier. http://www.starrywonders.com/howtodecide.html

Don't mean to thread jack, but how did you find an HEQ5 second hand so damn fast? I've been hunting for a month and still no luck

Hope I'm not doing the wrong thing, but i too didn't know about UK Astronomy Buy and Sell, however, there is a HEQ5 Pro listed

There have been two HEQ5 pro synscans listed on ebay for the past week I missed one for £500 but got the other looking at FLOs pricelist a 200p is around £255 this will put me £45 over what I budgetted but apparently with a much better setup.

Not easy to get the labs to process astro work correctly (I know from experience back in the day), you'll be throwing away a lot of exposures, I suspect, and also you can't do the stacking and digital post processing that really improve results (even with the free software).

To turn around what you've said, you can get a second hand DSLR for less than the price of 10 rolls of process paid film...

if you are only interrested in observing but fancy a computer to help you find the fuzzy smudges then you should really check out the Orion SkyQuest XT10i as far as i can tell it is great value for money.

Or if you enjoy hunting down your targets you could have a look at one of the Skywatcher dobs

hope this helps :smiley:

I seems that serious DSO imaging is out of the question anyway, apart from the mount a CCD camera or DSLR adds meggabucks to the budget and observing is my main interest, I think my imaging ambitions would be limited to planets and lunar. I will be going to the Astronomy Fair at Norman Lockyer Observatory on 11/08/2012 and will see FLO there, unless I'm lucky enough to pick up some decent second hand equipment beforehand. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Everybody wants to aspire to the best, but do not be put off by people telling you that is what you need. DSO imaging can be done with modest telescopes and it does not have to cost a fortune, especially if you already have a DSLR.

Follow this thread if you want to see what can be done http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/155602-imaging-with-st102/

Archived