NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

observatory

Starlight 1

Over the past year and looking at all the DIY observatory on here its come down making a start,

I am starting with a 8x6 Security shed and going on slabs for time being as it look like new houseing is going up next to me soon so I can move it later,

I am putting it 2m from any boundry so I can add on later.

So for the help I am looking for is.

(1) The best way round for a roll off roof N to S / Or E to W.

(2) my best sky is S and W.

(3) tell me any thing that do not work right and have to start all over again.

If your best views are S&W the you should have roof role off to the E or N. Then determine if its going to get in the way of anything and make a decision from there. If nothing is in the way either N or E then pick which has more covered sky. Also when you role off the roof it wont cover much sky and it will be only very low sky near the horizon so should interfere with most of the best sky for imaging anyways.

OK thanks I go with moving off to the East.

Do roof sliding bolts work ok to hold shut , and looking for the best way to keep the wind and rain from getting under the roof.

Best to have a combination of devices to keep the roof held down. I have found, for instance that the wind can rattle the bolt pins out of shackles and work free slide bolts!! So I use a combination of wire ropes (clipped to the roof corrners with carabiners), slide bolts and good old rope made off onto large boat cleats. Sounds like overkill- but often away for a week or longer and can't check daily. Better safe than sorry?

Yes, if you go away you want the peace of mind of knowing that your roof is well and truly secure.

I'm currently improving my roof security with proper permanent fastenings. I'll be posting info and photos in my build thread later.

No two builds are the same. You will needs to design the layout and roof run off to suit your garden. Its a compromise, In an ideal world you'll have totally clear horizons from NNE through south to NNW, but you'll have trees, next doors house, or other obstacles to contend with. My Roof rolls off Eastwards but then I have a high boundary hedge which defines the view I get in that direction. There is a lot of info in this section, and my apologies to Gina, but you can learn by example just how secure and strong you need to make these things. I use turnbuckles to secure my roof down, and even in the somewhat shielded environment of our garden the observatory has been hit with 45mph winds.

Hoping to start soon ,Just phone to see when its going to turn up and it may here by the weekend , I get some turnbuckles in + more wood for the roof .

So i will start posting pics next week on the build.

I only got one big tree to the S/W and this year somehow its dead.

Now I wonder how that happened :D There's a huge oak tree in the next field owned by our neighbour farmer but he won't be persuaded to prune it. It's covered in ivy so maybe that'll kill it in time :D It blocks my view between south and SSE :(

be careful... some trees have preservation order type things on them, which means taking them out can be full of red tape... plus some trees are listed on OS maps (if they are old and well established) which is more red tape should they need to be felled.

Yesterday the shed turned up, right in the middle of a thunderstorm. Thunder, lightening, hail and rain throwing down. 2 guys sat in their lorry for about 15 mins, eventually they got out and pulled a pallet out. As it wouldn't fit through

the gate, they left it on the road and drove off, so I started unpacking it on the side of the road and the heavens opened up again and by the time I finished I looked like a drowned rat. Today I have painted the parts which go together and the underside as these will not be available when they are put together. Forecast is now 24 hours rain again so it might be Saturday before I can start on it again.

Archived