Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UHC filter

Just a quick question (I'm at work).

Which filter would you recommend for around £50 for viewing nebulae and DSO. I've heard the names UHC, OIII and Neodymium all brandished about but I can't really grasp which would be best to help me see DSOs?

Many thanks

The UHC (Ultra High Contrast) is the best all-round nebula filter and will work well in your scope. The Sky Watcher is pretty good and a reasonable price at FLO. None of them help with other DSO's.

This explains the different sorts of filters and what you can expect them to do: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=63

UHC filters from different suppliers are similar but not equal: http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/filters/curves.htm Some are significantly better than others but all will will have a big effect on emission nebulae. A UHC is probably the best stating filter. You will need to be well dark-adapted to get the most out of it.

Remember line specific filters like the UHC and OIII target specific wavelengths of light and are ideally used for emission nebula. Other DSO such as galaxies and globular clusters radiate across the whole visible spectrum and hence their brightness will be significantly dimmed. For everything else, a broad band light pollution filter (that blocks sodium and mercury vapour light) would be a better tool if you are suffering from light polluted skies. This will have the impact of improving the contrast of object against the sky background and at the end of the day, DSO observation is a contrast game.

Cool thanks. I had a go at looking for the ring nebula 2 nights ago and whilst I could see "something" I couldn't. If you see what I mean. I've read a filter could really help.

Final question (hopefully) at RVO the Baader UHC is only £7 more than the SkyWatcher, is that one better, in your opinion?

You are definitely battling a bright sky background at the moment, as at this time of year in the UK it does not get officially dark. If you are familiar with the technique also try using averted vision (not looking directly at the object) as this will help to bring out subtle details. The Ring Nebula should be fairly easy prey in your scope...If the sky is dark.

An LP filter will improve contrast on the ring but this particular DSO is pretty bright so it's detectable even in bad skies. I remember once seeing it in light polluted suburbs with a full moon out. It wasn't prominent but it was there. Filters help the most with nebulae such as NGC6888, NGC7000, the veil complex, and M16 (to name some of the major ones). Such nebulae will readily go from invisible to visible with the aid of a UHC filter.

If you are looking at UHC filters, the Castell is back in stock at 365 Astronomy and is hard to beat at the price.

Have a search through the forum for previous reviews on it :)

Ohh you !

You had me rushing to the page, the 2" say's out of stock !!

Ohh you !

You had me rushing to the page, the 2" say's out of stock !!

Sorry, was in stock last time I checked! They've all been unavailable for a looooooooooooooooong time due to manufacturing issues I think.

Sorry, was in stock last time I checked! They've all been unavailable for a looooooooooooooooong time due to manufacturing issues I think.

Ahh - don't worry - i'll just let you find one for me :):lol:

I don't think they've been in stock for 18 monts now ! But they have my mobile number now & tbey've said to call back in a few weeks time - just in case ............

But i think they have the 1.25" ..............

Cool, I think I'll get the Castell UHC soon(ish) then.

Sometimes I hate "PR blurbs" (from Baader) "Owners of smaller, 4"-10" telescopes will especially appreciate the high efficiency, and larger scope users will love the rich star fields and detailed subtle nebular shadings that are left intact."

Makes me want to upgrade already. Calling my 8" scope small. Give it a complex, it will!

There, there baby, he didn't mean it. *pats scope*

Just to make your scope feel even better about itself...."8 inches is the largest of the small scopes. 12 inches is the smallest of the large." ;)

I once read that in a review. Made me wonder what that means about my 11inch scope. Apparently it sits in some kind of undefined no mans land.

Clear skies,

Cool thanks. I had a go at looking for the ring nebula 2 nights ago and whilst I could see "something" I couldn't. If you see what I mean. I've read a filter could really help.

Had another go at find the Ring Nebula and learnt a very valuable lesson...

...it helps if you're actually looking between the correct 2 stars :rolleyes: Found it pretty much straight away last night. Damn uncorrecting finderscope! lol

Thats for the Baader UHC-S filter which was expressly designed for "smaller" aperture scopes and works pretty well in them I should say - a UHC-S was able to show me my 1st views of the Veil Nebula with 80mm and 100mm aperture scopes.

With 8" of aperture though you would benefit more from a "regular" UHC filter like the Castell, the Skywatcher or the Orion Ultrablock.

I'm surprised you can't see more of the Ring Nebula with your scope without a filter though - it's pretty prominent and I don't usually bother with a filter when viewing it even with my 120mm scope.

With objects like the Veil and the Owl nebulae though you can see practically nothing of them without a filter - the effect is quite astonishing when they "pop" into view with the filter in place.

Cool, I think I'll get the Castell UHC soon(ish) then.

Sometimes I hate "PR blurbs" (from Baader) "Owners of smaller, 4"-10" telescopes will especially appreciate the high efficiency, and larger scope users will love the rich star fields and detailed subtle nebular shadings that are left intact."

Makes me want to upgrade already. Calling my 8" scope small. Give it a complex, it will!

There, there baby, he didn't mean it. *pats scope*

I'm surprised you can't see more of the Ring Nebula with your scope without a filter though - it's pretty prominent and I don't usually bother with a filter when viewing it even with my 120mm scope.

I can, I was looking in the wrong place before lol. I looked at it last night for ages, I was mesmerised. First DSO! :D

Archived