Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello all, I currently own a sky watcher 130/900. Its a great scope! The optics are nice and sharp across about 90% of the FOV and I love it!! One problem is that the mount it came with (EQ2) is not steady enough so I'm looking into buying an EQ3-2 which looks much better. My question is does it come with counter weights or will I have to buy them separately?

Regards, Tom :)

I would add though, unless you specifically want to do a polar alignment and use the EQ mount for tracking or you want GOTO and you're looking at the "posh" version of the EQ3-2, perhaps an alt-az mount might be a better bet?

James

My EQ3-2 came with two counterweights; single and double.

I agree with James, and would add its also worth looking into the future and perhaps thinking about your next scope; if indeed it would be a consideration - would an alt-az mount give you more or less options than an EQ3-2 when it comes to OTAs.

I'm sure others will have some sound advice and hopefully point you in the right direction.

Cheers.

Your explorer 130 will be fine on an EQ3-2, but I feel a more substantial upgrade to EQ5 or CG5 would be more appropriate, so you are ready for your next inevitable scope upgrade. Either of these mounts will support up to 8" for visual use and a good example can be had second hand for around £100-£120. They are very solid and stable and will take substantially more weight than the EQ3-2 (which is a very small step up from your current EQ2). Just a thought really :)

i have just received a eq3-2 and its a little more solid than i thought it would be.the legs are not great though.last week i did have my mak180 on it with the tripod from an eq5, not something i will be doing regular though.i would also recommend the eq5 or cg5

Archived