NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

When do you get to star gaze?

chn

I actually made my last post waiting at a nature reserve near Swanley for the skies to clear, but they never did. It was my first time at that location and dont recommend it as local kids drove up to my car and said "Go back to London!" UnbelieveBle, first time ive been confronted!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming it's possible to observe (i.e. you can see something) then I will always be out subject to family commitments (and footy).

There are so few opportunities over a year for a good night that even if it's for a short time (maybe an hour or two) then I take them. As above, I often just look at planets, moon and double stars and I am still never bored even when looking at objects I have seen many times before. Differing conditions, telescopes, eyepieces and even frame of mind / tiredness will all contribute to a different experience each time.

I fully appreciate the sense of calm I get when at the eyepiece - takes me away from all the stresses of the day.

I usually pack my gear away for the summer. I normally have a house full of foreign exchange language students for June/July and August so dont have much time. Added to that the bright nights and early morning starts. Observing during the summer for me is a non-starter.

Archived