Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Drift alignment without East

Hello!

Im trying to do drift alignment for astro'photography. I read the basics but im facing some doubts, because i have my setup on a balcony, which is facing SW, meaning i can clearly see, from left to right (obviously,lol), South, SouthWest, West and NorthWest.

The major doubt is: is it in anyway possible to drift align in this conditions, not having a star in the East available and also not having polaris available?

I would appreciate some input from you all!

Thanks, Cheers

Rui

Hi Rui

When I set up indoors my window faces south west, I use my compass to set the mount roughly on the meridian then pick any star and drift align. if the star moves up increase latitude oposit if the star moves down, if the star moves left adjust azimuth anti clockwise oposit if the star moves right. the first time you do it it will take a bit of time depending on how close you get your mount on the meridian before starting. it will mainly be latitude first time after that you will know your latitude and it will be a tweek on the both latitude and azimuth.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Archived