Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Definitely sharper and exposed than my DSLR attempts (the central bright bits come out fine, if slightly fuzzier, but not the solar panels). I don't think I'm yet ready to try hand guiding my CGEM mounted SCT with a finder and use my DFK. Might try it when it's lower in the sky and not moving as fast.

Thanks guys.

ejwwest, you should give it a go. Even on a high pass you could start tracking as it comes into view and see how you get on as it goes overhead. I think you'll find it's maybe not quite as hard as you think. Worth a try.

Wow that's a stunningly detailed shot, can you tell us a bit about how you captured it? Did you use the atik? What frame rate do you find works best, how many frames did you stack, did you track it manually.....so many questions :)

Chris, I use the CPC with the DBK, set the frame rate at 60, gain at about 80% of max and as much gamma as I can get away with. Exposure is about 1/1200. Set to capture for 6 mins. Once I see the ISS, I start the capture and then track manually using the finder, having made sure it is aligned spot on with the main scope. I usually end up with about 13,000 frames of with about 400 have the ISS on them. I then process through PIPP and Registax 6. Martin has some great info on his site Skyinspector.co.uk.

Archived