Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ToV

pixelsaurus

LOL sorry, no offence intended, they are all as bad as each other :) Its not just NOTW or Sun journalists after all, they are just the ones we are hearing the most about.

definately not offended. just a bit of friendly banter. and yes you're right, there are plenty of journos all over this planet that give news a bad name. good ol' rupert put my sister through the ringers in one of his papers many years ago and she worked for him. :smiley:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, as the one who alluded to hacks, Australians and needing shooting in the first place I would like to be quite clear that absolutely no offence was intended to Australians. It was merely the chance events of Murdoch being in the news and an aussie journo sticking her foot in her mouth that caused the comment and I'm pleased to see it was taken the way it was intended. I'd never live it down if I were too rude about our Antipodean relatives anyhow, as my wife is part Maori.

James

I don't actually feel the article is backtracking, I think she is still trying to have a dig.

Granted some of the original comments give her some ammo but she hasn't actually managed a suitable apology.

Back to the Topic before we venture much further towards one of the 2 Taboo subjects, it does sound like she is backtracking as JamesF says.

Unfortunately, if you're going to claim such an article was written in humour, there needs to be something that gives it away. She claims that the Celine Dion bit was the "tell", but actually Celine Dion is the butt of much criticism and abuse and the author would be aware of that, so I don't think her excuses stand scrutiny. I don't believe her. She wrote it in ignorance and she'd gain far more respect if she actually wrote a piece along the lines of "You know, I got it completely wrong. And here's why...",

James

oh yeah, where were we?

i'm assuming that articles like this may have something to do with the reason that she's working in Townsville (pop. about 150 000) instead of a proper rag. :evil:

Unfortunately, if you're going to claim such an article was written in humour, there needs to be something that gives it away. She claims that the Celine Dion bit was the "tell", but actually Celine Dion is the butt of much criticism and abuse and the author would be aware of that, so I don't think her excuses stand scrutiny. I don't believe her. She wrote it in ignorance and she'd gain far more respect if she actually wrote a piece along the lines of "You know, I got it completely wrong. And here's why...",

James

And, she didnt explain the Celine Dion reference, am I the only one who didnt get that?

I don't actually feel the article is backtracking, I think she is still trying to have a dig.

Granted some of the original comments give her some ammo but she hasn't actually managed a suitable apology.

Actually, there's an alternative, more cynical point of view, which is that she's just trying to keep the story going. Newspapers operate on the "no publicity is bad publicity" principle (at least up to the point you can get put in jail :) They make money from advertising and the more people they can get her copy in front of, regardless of reason, the more they earn. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if the editors hadn't said to her "This has stirred up a hornet's nest. There's some money in it if you can keep it going." or something similar.

James

And, she didnt explain the Celine Dion reference, am I the only one who didnt get that?

I didn't entirely "get it", but I know that she has for years been given a hard time by all sorts of people. I'm not entirely sure why. I could hardly be described as a fan, but she's not exactly offensive to anyone. It seems to be one of those things that "just happened".

James

Actually, there's an alternative, more cynical point of view, which is that she's just trying to keep the story going. Newspapers operate on the "no publicity is bad publicity" principle (at least up to the point you can get put in jail :) They make money from advertising and the more people they can get her copy in front of, regardless of reason, the more they earn. It wouldn't entirely surprise me if the editors hadn't said to her "This has stirred up a hornet's nest. There's some money in it if you can keep it going." or something similar.

James

This is a good point too, I did notice on the home page of the site they have a seperated article and a video about the transit as well.

'Lets run with it' so to speak.

Townsville did seem to attract a lot of visitors just for the transit so there should of been some interest.

On her twitter she made another odd Dion reference too. :huh:

You might have to get your own Vegemite?

I have never actually tried Vegemite. For the most part I am an equal opportunities omnivore and have no issue with eating snails, horse, rabbit, squid. liver, kidney, heart or tongue; I make my own sausages using pig and sheep intestines and I even enjoy sprouts. I draw the line at Marmite though. No good came of eating anything that smells so awful. If Vegemite is anywhere near that bad I think I can safely give it a miss.

James

and I even enjoy sprouts.

You know, I never enjoyed sprouts and as a way to get me to eat them my Mum used to mash them with vegemite.

It didn't work, I still despised the evil balls.

Archived