Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TV Pan 24

magnahrl

I have an old nice orange C8 (1973, deforked) which I use with an f/6.3 Celestron Reducer + 1.25" WO diagonal and CG-5GT mount for visual observing. A TV Panoptics 24 mm is tempting for widefield observing.

Is this a good choice or waste of money?

I also have 8"f/6 OOUK Newt, MK66, C80ED and a ST120.

But the main reason for getting this Pan 24 is for my C8.

Any advices are most welcome :laugh:

Regards,

Magnus Ahrling

Sweden

The Panoptic 24mm is a wonderful eyepiece. Of that there is no doubt.. If you can afford it I wouldn't try and talk you out of it. There are cheaper alternatives that may serve you just as well in your slow scope.

But if you can afford the Panoptic I would get it. It's one of those eyepieces that will always work well no matter what scope you get in the future.

What cheaper alternative will serve just as well as the Pan 24 in an f/6.3 scope? I am not buying an eypiece just `cause it has those "green letters" on it. And I don`t have or will ever have f/4 scopes or similar.

Regards,

Magnus

Go with the Panoptic Magnus, you won't regret it. I also don't buy eyepiece's just for the green lettering. I use them so that I know any shortcomings in the views won't be from whatever glass sits in the focuser :-)

I can't afford TV prices so I just ordered the Explore Scientific 24mm/68° for about 1/3 the price. Many folks here compare the ES eye pieces to TV and the ES's come pretty close for about 1/3 the price. Besides, ES is having a huge sale on all the EP's this month here in the U.S.....all their 68°, 82°, and 100° eye pieces.

Found ES 24mm at 1/2 the Pan 24 price at TS. But ES 18, 24 and 30 are 2" and Iam looking for 1.25". Can`t reach focus with my C8+focalreducer+2" diagonal. Only when I use my 1.25" diagonal focus is possible.

/Magnus

PS the ES 24 had 82* AFoV, did not find any with 68* at TS (Teleskop-Service)

I've bought directly from the US also - very happy with the EPs I've had with both green (TV) and white lettering (ES). On "the other side" (CN), the ES 68 degree Argon family are more highly regarded than the ES82 N2 series.

The ES seem to be disproportionately priced in Europe compared to the US.

Eyepieces dont really come a great deal better than Tele-Vue, and the Panoptics have a reputation that is second to none. Only one drawback the are an expensive item. I have the SWA 24mm Meade which is I believe the same glass as the Explore Sc 24mm, if this is the case and i am sure it is then I could honestly say you would not be disappointed with the Explore. If you can afford the Televue then why not consider the UWA Meade which Telescope House have on offer for 215 pounds, that would give you a quality Ultra wide view bigger than even the TV.

Alan.

I have an old nice orange C8 (1973, deforked) which I use with an f/6.3 Celestron Reducer + 1.25" WO diagonal and CG-5GT mount for visual observing. A TV Panoptics 24 mm is tempting for widefield observing.

Is this a good choice or waste of money?

I also have 8"f/6 OOUK Newt, MK66, C80ED and a ST120.

But the main reason for getting this Pan 24 is for my C8.

Any advices are most welcome :laugh:

Hi Magnus , I have a Panoptic 22mm and 24 mm and every time I put either into any of my scopes the both blow mw away , really good eyepieces , and mate in your 200mm f/10 the 24 pan will be so good in all ways .

My advise is these cant be beaten .

I have friends with almost every type ov 22/26mm eyepiece made and my 24 Panoptic beats them all in every scope .

Grab one and enjoy .

Your eyes and brain will thank you , oh yea as well as your scope .

Brian.

Regards,

Magnus Ahrling

Sweden

Woaw !!! that 'quote' came out all wrong ,, sorry Magnus ,

All I am saying is the 24mm Panoptic , as Jabberwocky said , you wont get tired using it , these just dissapare and let yje eyes and brain enjoy what the scope is showing me .

That good , Panoptics are , the views are so natural .

Easy to use .

Brian.

I think the Pan 24 is perhaps the best all-round EP ever made. Buy from OPT in the US for a good new price--their service is great and they ship international without trouble. For an even better second-hand price, many U.S. Astromart sellers will ship internationally if you are nice to them.

Archived