Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13 revisited

SteveL

Been revisiting some of my old subs to see if any new techniques I`ve learned along the way. Stumbled across my M13 from a while back. Getting the stars right out to the edge without blowing out the core is quite tricky, so using the layering stuff I learned here, I took one under exposed version (for the core) and another over exposed version (for the outer)

Original from earlier this year

m13-20070530-350d-normal.jpg

Given 15 minutes work, this is what get spat out

m13_20080818_layer.jpg

Its a bit "crunchy" but I`ve only played with layering a few times over the last couple of days.

It does work Steve, as your image shows very nicely.

I have the Jerry Lodrigus book on CD, and it does make for very informative reading.

Have tried the short and long exposure method that he describes, on M42, being able to show both the outer regions, and the four Trapezium stars in the same image.

Dave

Havent imaged M42 yet (it just disappeared into the western glow as I was starting to get the hang of all this Astro stuff). I still have 6 months of skies that I havent really had a chance to image at all, or look at with my current setup.

Nicely done Steve.

I've seen a similar approach on PS when photographing in B&W, to show detail you have to over expose the sky areas, then you take a short exposure of the sky and layer the two, same thing really. Yours works really well.

JV

Archived