Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Report 10 June 2012

onesmallstep

Hi

This is my first observing report so here goes...

I decided on an ad-hoc observing stint so grabbed the Helios 7x50 bins. Sky quality was above average for my street and there was mild light pollution courtesy of a streetlight and several houselights. The area is mainly built-up urban neighbourhood and I was observing from outside my home situated in one corner of a cul-de-sac. Observing 0100-0130.

Objects observed in rough order were:

A general sweep of the Milky Way through Cygnus

Summer Triangle objects including Deneb, Albireo, Lyra and the double stars therein, and The Coathanger.

The Moon was just visible low in the North East between houses.

Ursa Major including Alcor / Mizar, following the arc to Arcturus. Onto what I think was Saturn just above the trees low in the South West.

General sweep along Cassiopeia.

ISS through Arcturus, Summer Triangle and through to Moon.

I ended the session at this point as I'm currently getting over health problems and don't want to overdo things.

Sounds like a nice session, glad you were able to get out despite your health troubles.

Binos are ideal when you haven't got the time (or energy!) for the scope.

Stu

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I was just happy to get outside for a while given the recent weather conditions. The ToV was a complete cloud-out from my location so I was suffering from Observing Deprivation Syndrome (that's not the health prob BTW). The ISS passing over was definitely the highlight of the session. I wrote the report partly because I just wanted to share it with others and my non-astro mates get peeved if I wake them up at stupid o' clock to talk to them!

Hopefully there will be other reports and I will be more organised and specific in the future.

Thanks for the feedback, more reports to come!

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to see what people are looking at.

Bins are always good for a short session. Not used mine for a little while but Sagittarius and the surrounding area will undoubtedly tempt me to somewhere with a dark low Southern horizon for a bino session.

Look forward to more reports.

Clear skies!

Archived