SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Squid Joins The Club!

SlipperySquid

Hi all,

Well with the couple of bank holidays we've had I thought it was about time I cracked on and built an obsy!

The shed was donated by a mate from work that built a summer house ten years ago and was going to send it to the local tip. It had a separate roof so was ideal for conversion.

Pier came from an engineering firm we use at work, cost me a crate of beer, I thought they where just going to get me the steel that I needed but they made the full pier, I was well chuffed.

Extra timber I needed came from a company that make shed's and where moving premises, they had loads of stuff they where not taking and just wanted rid so saved myself a good £150 (even managed to shiplap the inside of the shed so it's now double skinned).Also roofing felt.

Extra bits and bobs like electric cable I already had, only had to buy screws, waste pipe (to run the cable underground), turnbuckles wheels oh and the decking, so total for me was about £250 (oh and concrete).So all in all, I didn't do to bad.

Took me about two weeks in total to get it all done from beginning to end with working a couple of hours every night after work.

Anyways, finished now baring laying some decorative stone around the edges and sorting out what I'm going to do with all the wires hanging off the pier.

Here's a couple of piccies. I didn't bother doing from beginning to end (think I should have but it's to late now) :D

Can't stop rolling the roof backwards and forwards :D it's very addictive!

Clear skies all,

Matt.

post-5302-0-12543100-1338842323_thumb.jp

post-5302-0-20893000-1338842326_thumb.jp

post-5302-0-21648100-1338842333_thumb.jp

post-5302-0-36927600-1338842415_thumb.jp

Building the thing was mainly to nullify the setup times, it was becoming a bit of a pain, especially on the nights when it's clear then you set up and the clouds have rolled in :(.

The computer for the obsy is housed in the primary "man shed" which is out of shot, is home to my mini recording studio for myself and my kids to mess about in (they play bass and lead guitar while I mess about with synths). So I never had to worry about factoring in a warm room.(Had to build that because the missus was always complaining about the noise.)

I don't think I could have afforded to do the obsy as quick as I did if I never got so many things for free, the price of everything just seems to spiral out of control once you start! But the missus is happy with the decking so that's cool!

Matt.

Archived