Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m51 in JPG :S !!

I was out last night and made almost two hours worth of subs on m51, but when i woke up this morning i got to think about whether i set the image settings to raw....

Well i didnt, its jpg. Is it possible to get something out of jpg or is it a lost cause?

/Lukas

I am sure you will get something out of it, you can stack JPEG in DSS, so you should get something. I think you will just be limited in what you will get out of an image when you come to mess about with it isn PS.

Been there, done that a coupple of times - and afterwards, i've never used the JPG settings ever again unless i was shooting a timelapse at the smallest JPG... :(

But yes, you will still get details out of it, but it will be limited to less details then from a raw. Especially if it's underexposed. If it's well exposed i've got OK-ish results from JPG as well.

You might need flats/darks etc in jpg as well. I discovered that on my 1000D RAWs are a slightly different size from jpegs, so DSS wouldn't mix the two. So when I made this mistake recently, I did a special run of jpeg flats (at roughly the same camera angle - I didn't discover the problem until I had taken the camera off the scope).

NigelM

Its good practice for learning to always check your in raw mode not jpeg, ;) but you should be able to get something from it. I did that with a few galaxy's in the past and still got a reasonable result but most frustrating to find there in jpeg and not raw.

Archived