Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transit of Venus; events.

cotterless45

I suppose it's elf 'N saftey , you don't want the unskilled to be supervising sungazing. It seems a shame that there's no mention of the event in the media.

I was out at 3.45am today driving around to find a viewing site for a small group.

It was a great pleasure to watch the great orange ball rise over a clear NE horizon.

I felt like early man,cold,hungry and thirsty,but thrilled by the lighting of the sky and Vega disappearing overhead (must be going simple in the head!!).Nearly sharpened my spear for a day's hunting!!!Yo Tesco mammoth burgers!

Just hope the 6th is going to be as good and that the cafe is open early.

Nick.

Joined up with the group from Abingdon Astronomical Society in a car park off of the A34 south of Oxford.

A few glimpses of the moon while we were setting up were encouraging but there was a lot of cloud.

Anyway, at about 5.45am about a third of the sun came briefly into view through the cloud and obligingly enough there was the black dot of venus. I managed to see it for maybe 5 seconds! By the time I'd rotated the diagonal for a young lad next to me to have a look, the clouds had covered it and that was that!

Of course, at 6:05am - just ten minutes after the show, the cloud cleared and gave us a completely unobstructed view of the whole solar disc. So I spend 15 minutes or so looking at sun spots and then packed up.

At least I saw it!

I was awake at 4am this morning, looked out and saw only clouds. Persevered regardless with the binos and went out for an hour - with success! There were 3 breaks in the cloud for 30ish seconds for each, where I got to see the distinctive dot of Venus making its way across the Sun. Chuffed to have seen it, as I didn't catch the '04 transit.

Archived