Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CGEM wobbly?

SteveT

Hi, I have used my new CGEM 925 a couple of times now since getting it a few weeks ago and I have noticed that with everything setup and tightened up that the mount has quite a bit of play. Eg if you hold the end of the counterweight pole and the clamp in each hand you can wiggle to and fro probably about 5mm at each hand. When I have it setup and balanced properly it wobbles around like crazy in the lightest breeze or after focussing making it very difficult to view or image (eg Saturn) at even medium mag say 120 ish.

Is it normal to have this amount of play, I assume in the worm gear?

Is it possible to tighten something, bearings etc to reduce this? Where I place the tripod is very stable, on 3 purpose built concrete and stone pillars sunk 18 inches into solid ground.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks, I will take a look. I just tried it again and it made a loud graunching noise for about 10 seconds while slewing, and if you put your ear to the mount when it is tracking you can hear it making a regular noise which doesn't sound very smooth, at about 2 hz.

If you image, the picture jerks around at the same rate as the noise, which is why with my 925 on a small object it jumps around too.

I may just ask FLO to replace it as its quite new and I'm sure it's not right.

Sent from my iPad

Hi, I have used my new CGEM 925 a couple of times now since getting it a few weeks ago and I have noticed that with everything setup and tightened up that the mount has quite a bit of play. Eg if you hold the end of the counterweight pole and the clamp in each hand you can wiggle to and fro probably about 5mm at each hand. When I have it setup and balanced properly it wobbles around like crazy in the lightest breeze or after focussing making it very difficult to view or image (eg Saturn) at even medium mag say 120 ish.

Is it normal to have this amount of play, I assume in the worm gear?

Is it possible to tighten something, bearings etc to reduce this? Where I place the tripod is very stable, on 3 purpose built concrete and stone pillars sunk 18 inches into solid ground.

Sent from my iPad

I had a similar problem with the CG5 on the Dec axis. I tightened the worm/wheel tension and the the motor/sprocket tension and that seemed to fix it, quite solid now

careful not to over tension though (I did mine dismantled with the motors connected and tensioned a fraction of a turn at a time - not suggesting you do the same if its new though :(

Archived