Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What should I see

I have the items listed below I just wonder what I should be able to see with this scope and could I do better if i get other add on's for it if so what would you spend to improve it ?

:icon_scratch:Geoff

You should be able to see quite a lot. I have had pretty much the same scope for a few months now and it has shown me a lot, you can check my signature for what I have seen. I am sure there is also a lot more to see as well. If you look up the messier list you should be able to see most of them from where you are, not to far from me in Llanfairfechan :).

If you wanted to upgrade something I would say the eyepieces as it looks like you have the standard scope ones. The BST explorers are recommended on here, they are £41 each and for sale by a trader on ebay - Sky's the Limit.

HTH,

Sion

I have the items listed below I just wonder what I should be able to see with this scope and could I do better if i get other add on's for it if so what would you spend to improve it ?

:icon_scratch:Geoff

Have a look at the sketching section to get an idea what objects actually look like through various telescopes. A 130P is a useful size scope and should give you a fair view of lots of objects.

this was taken with the 130p 2x barlow and pentax k200d with yellow filter. just to give you an idea.

pete

Nice photo. Presumably you also used a full aperture solar filter of some type Pete - what type was it, so that the OP knows what is needed ?

There's some really sound advice here, darc. As Rik M as suggested, sketches - not photos - are certainly the way to understand what you are likely to see.

Regarding eyepieces, I haven't ever used BST explorers but as Sion has said, they do come highly recommended. I have found Celestron's X-Cel LX very good and prefer them to Hyperions. They are a little more expensive than the explorers but also come highly recommended (there are many threads here about them).

On the sights to observe and contemplate this month, obviously planets come high as with the Moon. Saturn and Mars for later evening, Venus and Moon for early evening.

Getting into deep space objects (DSOs), I have found M13, M92, M57, & M94 to be particularly fine this month. You might also be interested in splitting stars. May I suggest Cor Caroli, the Delta Twins in Lyra and to put to test your barlow and 10mm, Polaris.

It's probably a silly suggestion but if you haven't already done so, download Stellarium.

Happy hunting :)

you should be able to see planets (use up to 260x), star clusters, larger brighter galaxies and nebulas. Low power will give you the brighter views, so best for large objects. Most nebulas will be a faint grey smudge, no colour in any. M31 is a large bright galaxy, you'll see the bright central core and faint stuff around it.

If you have some light pollution, try a skywatcher LP filter. Otherwise, I don't think other add-ons will be worth while. Better eyepieces might be more comfortable to look into and give a better view, but won't really increase what you can see.

What mount have you got? Put your 350d on it an get some colour in things!

I have an a motor driven mount with a small black controler not sure what you guys call them it is not the goto one however it does say you can set it to do bits.

Geoff

The 130 is a gem.However, being open truss I wouldn't be looking using a solar filter at the sun.

I'd go get a 25 and 12mm Bst.These'll stand you well,if you get a bigger scope.Draw what you can and keep a notebook of what you've seen,enjoy.

Nick.

BST refers to BST Explorers which are an eyepiece type that is sold by the company Skies the Limit. They are good eyepieces at a reasonable price and very popular on this forum.

Archived