Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I want one of these little travel dobs

I want one of these "little" travel dobs.....if I have a little win on the lottery that is. :)

Omegon Dobson telescope N 609/2700 Discoverer Travel 24" L1/10 Truss DOB

http://www.astroshop.eu/omegon-dobson-telescope-n-609-2700-discoverer-classic-24--l1-10-truss-dob/p,20639

Professional truss tube Dobsonians from Omegon are above all distinguished by the very high quality of their mirrors. The Hilux coated Suprax mirroremployed boasts a superb 97% reflection and surface precisions of Lambda 1/6, 1/8 or 1/10 and each telescope comes with its own certificate. These high end instruments also have a carbon fibre, aluminium and steel construction truss tube structure combined with a very rigid rocker box for the base made from bonded multi-layer board.

With the Travel version the emphasis has been put on achieving maximum portability, with multi-piece truss tubing and with the upper tube assembly able to be lowered completely into rocker box. In general, the Travel version has been built somewhat less substantially in order to allow the packing dimensions for transport to be significantly reduced, so that even the 24 inch model is relatively easy to transport.

With this telescope you receive a CNC-milled, professionally hand-made instrument equipped with a very high specification mirror. Delivery times vary from 3 to 6 months due to the individual fabrication of these instruments required.

John

post-14522-133877777239_thumb.jpg

There is also a Dutch guy making travel dobs too which look quite nice, Sumerian Optics I think.

One thing I have always wondered about the smaller individual sellers is how difficult is it to start up?

I mean the Dobson design is readily available for all to use for homemade purposes as are rocker box's and other variations but are there patent restraints if you were to go into business?

Would you need to come up with a unique design first?

And what about all the components?

I guess you could machine everything if you had the right workshop but a lot of the time people use already existing mirrors and focusers so how would that work?

I assume you would need at the very least permission to use their products and maybe pay a commision?

I'm just curious really.

These "manufacturers" just buy in the various comonents, the OO UK mirrors, Moonlite focusers etc and fit them to their scope assemblies. Nothing stopping you from doing the same as long as these suppliers agree to supply you.

No one owns the Dobsonian design and as long as you didn't copy exactly the style of say the rocker boxes down to indentical cut-outs etc. there should be no problem.

Actually I'd build my own big dob using OO mirrors, Moonlite truss components and a Feather Touch focuser rather than buy one of the Omegon ones. :)

John

I thought it could be more complicated than that really, maybe I was over thinking it.

It's surprising there aren't more doing it but I guess lots of people would just make their own.

One day I'd love to have a go at making one, there would be a certain satisfaction in doing it.

Actually I'd build my own big dob using OO mirrors, Moonlite truss components and a Feather Touch focuser rather than buy one of the Omegon ones. :)

John

That's pretty much what I'm doing at the moment. Although I prefer the more substantial KB design to ultra portables as I have no need of ultra portability (I have a van).

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=173786

Waiting for the feathertouch focuser and altitude bearings to arrive from the states at the moment.:)

It is great fun though and immensely satisfying to build your own kit.

Just read through your threads, very impressive. :)

You got some sparks firing now, shame that KB book is 75 quid then again it is my birthday soon. It seems a bit intimidating I must say.

Just read through your threads, very impressive. :)

You got some sparks firing now, shame that KB book is 75 quid then again it is my birthday soon. It seems a bit intimidating I must say.

£75::)

Good grief! That's got expensive. Mine was about £40, and I thought I paid a lot.

That is a vast improvement in price and the present fairy has been notified, in the mean time I'm going to read an James Muirden book I have called the "Beginners Guide to Astronomical Telescope Making".

What I can't seem to find is much more info or pictures about this Omegon dob, if you go to their website it's the same picture used for all the models whether being classic or travel model.

Archived