NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which solar scope?

Hi folks,

I'm considering buying a solar scope.

I've done some (loads of!) research and reading up, and have sort of decided on a Coronado Solarmax 11 60 Double stack BF15.

I chose the BF15 model as I like using a binoviewer and may at some point wish to take photographs with it, and went for the double stack version as the combined wisdom seem to suggest that the images will be far superior to the single.

Is my logic sound? Would this be a good choice?

Nearly 2 1/2 grand would be a big mistake to make if its not right! :)

Any other scopes I should consider?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

No direct experience of that combination so couldn't say if good or bad. My only concern would be the focuser with it not being a standard-ish Crayford/R&P.

Another option you've probably already considered is the pressure tuned Lunt 60 with a BF1200. This is a 500mm FL scope over the Solarmax's 400mm and has a "proper" focuser.

As I haven't used any of these myself in anger I couldn't say if any of these things are actually that important. :)

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for that.

Must admit I would prefer the more useual type of focusser but guessed that Coronado know what they're doing and theirs would be ok!

The pressure tuning system on the Lunt gave me second thoughts, but the same scope is available without, so thats hardly an issue.

I also gave thought to buying a 80mm ish refractor and building one.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I can certainly vouch for the SM60II, it is a sound scope - mine is BF10. No focuser issues and I have had some very pleasing views.

As you will know, tuning is extremely easy using the new internal etalon tuning arm. (Unfortunately my one had to be sent back and was ultimately replaced as the arm jammed in place, but I haven't heard anyone else with this problem so perhaps I got a lemon??!??).

Re double stack, i bought this seperately rather than as a full unit in one go. My external etalon arrived at the weekend so hoping to get the chance to use it sometime this week after work. I purchased this from the US and I see that the price has gone up by near 50% which is scary. Ask me in a week if it has been worth it ?.

Alistair

Hi folks,

I'm considering buying a solar scope.

I've done some (loads of!) research and reading up, and have sort of decided on a Coronado Solarmax 11 60 Double stack BF15.

I chose the BF15 model as I like using a binoviewer and may at some point wish to take photographs with it, and went for the double stack version as the combined wisdom seem to suggest that the images will be far superior to the single.

Is my logic sound? Would this be a good choice?

Nearly 2 1/2 grand would be a big mistake to make if its not right! :)

Any other scopes I should consider?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

I too looked at the Coronado II 60 when I upgraded from

my little PST. But in the end purchased the LS60Tha DS B1200 and am very pleased with it indeed. It is certainly the 'sweet spot' in the Lunt range of solar filter scopes.

The LS60 oozes quality but I would definitely pay the extra for the FeatherTouch focuser. It is just sooo much better than Lunt's stock crayford.

You will be able to image through it and use Binoviewers. I use Baader Maxbrights which work well with Televue plossls. You just have to make sure that you use the right Glasspath Corrector to ensure that the Bins come to focus.

I have a Lunt LS60/B1200 and like it an awful lot. I've also used a version double stacked with a 50mm front filter. This was fabulous for imaging and showed more disk detail visually. Now you can do better by double stacking a full 60mm front filter.

I agree that the stock Crayford is the usual slippery pest. A Feathertouch is a wonderful thing but is crazily OTT for a scope that won't be carrying a few kilos of CCD gear. A Baader Steeltrack needs to be available as a compromise!

Coronado are now owned by Meade. That might not be great news on the customer service front.

Olly

Appreciate the comments guys, cheers.

I've been having a rethink....again, and the Lunt LS60 1200 with pressure tuner and feathertouch focuser has nosed into the lead!

Its an expensive beast though! Costs around the same as a double stacked Coronado!

Would I notice a big (£800 worth of) differance between a single and double stack?

Ampleamp I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the double V single.

Appreciate the comments guys, cheers.

I've been having a rethink....again, and the Lunt LS60 1200 with pressure tuner and feathertouch focuser has nosed into the lead!

Its an expensive beast though! Costs around the same as a double stacked Coronado!

Would I notice a big (£800 worth of) differance between a single and double stack?

Ampleamp I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the double V single.

Impossible for me to comment on whether another person would find it worth the extra. If I had more money than I do then I'd find it worth it!

The differences are;

-far more contrast on the disk, both visually and in imaging. How much more is 'far more?' Yikes, hard to say, but maybe double the contrast?

-a reduced need to do separate exposures for proms and disk. This surprized me because visually the proms are dimmed by the double stack. Double exposures will remain helpful some of the time though.

You could try the single and see how you felt. You could also look at the solar imaging section. Sherri images with a double stack 60 and does far better than I do with a single, though I don't know what I'm doing with fast frame imaging. My single stack stumblings are here;

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/The-Sun/14803611_xQx4ZW#!i=1112069877&k=oa9fs

Just another thought but Helen has a Lunt (60?) front filter on a ZS66. This is a nice alternative because the shorter FL allows a DMK41 to cover the entire solar disk. That's something of which I'm rather envious... Maybe the new baby WO with R and P would be an option?

Olly

just a quick look for me this evening before other events took over; just a personal view (and visual only) but I would agree with much of what Olly has said in that,

yes, to my eye, even through a hazy milky sky, there was better contrast and "depth" with the double stack, the granulation was very prominent. I also noticed that the proms were more easily seen in the same view; something which I found more aesthetically pleasing.

A DMK 41 will fit the whole disk on the frame without the need for mosaics and I may get chance this weekend to have a go; I also won't have to watch two kids running around screaming and getting in a mess. Don't expect works of art but I will try single and double views one after the other.

One comment, the thread for the external etalon is supposed to be a straight screw-in; well it is, with some persuasion. I initially managed one rotation before it stuck and I backed off. A second attempt went a little further but it wasn't until I used a small amount of 3:1 oil on the thread, and another three goes, before I was a comfortable threading. I suppose it will be the newness...

However, even after the nonsense with my internal tuning arm (which TH did sort out) the whole package is very good and I am very pleased. However I keep reading stories about Meade QC, and can't help thinking. I do not know anything about Lunts but they look and sound great scopes. I leave it to you if you think the extra cost of an double stack is worth it. I would definately try to get eyes on one first before deciding and you would be welcome here, but Co Durham is a bit of a hike.

post-19269-133877778782_thumb.jpg

Thanks ampleamp it must be a good sign that you noticed a differance with just a quick look, but isn't it disapointing when you spend that kind of money and its not a perfect fit!

Much appreciate the offer but as you say its a heck of a bus trip down there!

One conclusion I have made in my quest to buy a solarscope is that there are absolutely NO deals to be had! No one seems willing to budge on price.

Tom

One conclusion I have made in my quest to buy a solarscope is that there are absolutely NO deals to be had! No one seems willing to budge on price

Prices have risen quite a bit in the last few months so don't know if this is a Meade effect or a retail effect taking advantage of a solar maximum and Venus transit - who is suggesting I am cynical??

My SM60II (bf10) cost me £1100 in Feb; TH currently at £1436 incl a £94 disc, which is a 30% increase; and my 60mm external etalon cost me $900 delivered (I got away with vat/tax this time) but is now quoted as $1400 (before risking vat/tax) which is an eye watering 55% increase!

When you add in warranty issues (which as I have said, TH sorted out no problem) there are some numbers to consider.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input folks. I have deliberated long and hard over this one, been backwards and forward between the lunt and the Coronado, and have made a decision, heavily swayed by my Engineering background and my love of 'proper' telescopes (no offence to any other makes) I have placed an order for one of these..

http://skylight.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/daystar-filters-skylight-100mm-h-alpha-refractor

Not just any one, I've got the very first one! Number one, numero uno! I'm soooo excited.

Got to wait around 6 weeks, which will drag by no doubt.

Can't wait till I'm posting my first light report.

I have just fitted a Meade Solarmax 40mm (isle of Man) etalon onto a TAL 100RS and am very impressed by the extra detail visible compared to a PST. I have made a tuner to go behind it, but am at an early stage of evaluating what it does apart from making sunspots very much more detailed.. I have also been playing with a 1950's BC and F Herschel Wedge with a stainless steel photon venting pipe to prevent burns!post-3534-0-67845200-1339183943_thumb.jppost-3534-0-79939200-1339184146_thumb.jp

This may sound like a silly question, but can you not just put a big solar filter onto the front of a normal scope and away you go? I'm sure I must be missing something!

Hi Sara. Yes you can put a full aperture solar filter on the front of any telescope, but you will not see prominences and the disc detail that Hydrogen-alpha filters show.

Something like Baader film (there are others) will show sun spots very well however. So that is an inexpensive route to solar observing.

I used to think that H-a viewing was not a good idea when you can only look at one star, but changed my mind when I looked through one :cheesy:

Regards, Ed.

Cheers Ed,

So if I wanted to see prominences and the disk detail, what would I need on the front of my frac? Also could I use my existing Atik 314L+ camera?

Hi again Sara. To see solar prominences and other disc detail requires a Hydrogen-alpha filter system. To answer your question directly, Solarscopes on the Isle of Man make H-a filter systems to fit onto refractors. The main filter goes on the front over the objective, and another filter called a blocking filter is incorporated in the diagonal, this replaces the existing diagonal you probably have. But you are into big money here, think thousands, not hundreds. These are premium filters, made by a man who cares about what he does - Ken Hugget.

The other option is a complete H-a telescope. These are much more affordable if you get an entry level like the popular Coronado PST, or the Lunt 35 H-a. These show prominences well, but are less good with solar disc detail that the high end units will show.

As I've said, your cheapest option to get into solar observing is a front mounted full aperture white light filter like the Baader Astrosolar film to see sunspots. This costs £15 - £20 for an A4 sheet to enable you to make a DIY holder that must fit securely over the front objective so it cannot fall off. Your existing diagonal is used.

I'm guessing that your camera should work ok, but as I don't do imaging cannot confirm this.

Regards, Ed.

Archived