NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Large binos - are they worth the cost?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve

Have you any idea where one can source a decent parallelogram in the UK?

No. SCS is supposedly the UK agents for UA, but I don't find them particularly helpful. I got mine directly from UA about 7 years ago, but I'm not sure that Larry will send to the UK now SCS is the importer.

Maybe you'll have better luck with SCS than I have had so far.

Parallelogram mounts rule for hefty bins. I use my 15x70 Helios bins both with and without mount. For long sessions a mount is way more comfortable.

I could of course use my 80mm F/6 APO with 31mm Nagler with its massive 5.3 deg FOV at 15.5x, but somehow it is more comfortable to scan the skies with bins. Maybe if I put an Amici prism in the 80mm (upright correct image) this might change. My suspicion is that I will still use the bins for a lot of wide-field viewing.

I really should start thinking about sorting out a parallelogram mount, I would probably use the bins more often.

They are not hard to build. The only motorized tools I used were a drill (fixed to a column) and cordless screwdriver. The result can be seen here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=154871

with some improvements here

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=182775

Yes, indeed, but currenly too far beyond my budget...

I am looking at these however:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=56197

As good a price as that is, I note I can also get Celeston's from Amazon at half that price - but then they are also half as light. They seem to get good reviews, but presumably not in the same league as the Helios?

Sorry, I was joking, should have done the smiley, they were way out of my league too.

Those Helios ones look very good though.

They are not hard to build. The only motorized tools I used were a drill (fixed to a column) and cordless screwdriver. The result can be seen here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=154871

with some improvements here

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=182775

Thanks for posting that. I had a look around but couldn't find a UK supplier either so I though about making some myself eventually. Just wondered are they hardwood beams or just basic B&Q pinewood?

PS, has anyone looked through the Helios Apollo 28x110? Just came across a pair with mount for a reasonable price but a long drive away. With an exit pupil of 3.96, are these still suitable/bright enough for astronomy?

I usually use the x37 eyepieces in my 100mm binocular; has a 2deg FoV. I prefer it so much over the x20 2.5deg ones that I don't think I've used them for several years.

(On the batphone, so probably riddled with weird predicted text.),

I use my APM binos as my preferred instrument. I find the glorious field of view, comfortable viewing and ability to go widefield and then crank up the magnification to be perfect for me.

Whole Veil complex? Yes

Belts on Jupiter? Yes

Lunar details? Yes

Obviously not quite as versatile on the moon and planets as my C8 but certainly not nil-pointe.

You do need two eps, two filters and a sturdy mount (homemade pgram in my case) so not as cheap as a conventional scope but cheaper than two 100mm semi-apos.

Mark

Ok, having decided not to go for the Helios 15x85's (I'm preferring a larger magnification), I noticed a pair of Helios Apollo 28x110's on eBay but on further investigation I've have had to regrettably dismiss these as well.

So I'm now looking at what else there is and I've come across a pair of Strathsepy 25x100's which at current bid price are only £30 less than a brand new pair of Celestron 25x100's and £70 below a brand new pair of the same Strathspey. I have also come across a pair of Visionary HD 20x80's at a similar price and Visionary HD-T costing some £100 more for the same specification. Now I'm not expecting these to be on par with the Helios mentioned above, but since I am not familiar with these brands, I wondered if anyone knows how they compare with either the Celestron 25x100's? Also, what is the difference between the HD and the HD-T? They look identical.

Also, is there much difference in view between the Celestron 20x80 and the 25x100?

No. SCS is supposedly the UK agents for UA, but I don't find them particularly helpful. I got mine directly from UA about 7 years ago, but I'm not sure that Larry will send to the UK now SCS is the importer.

Maybe you'll have better luck with SCS than I have had so far.

Late reply, sorry about that, but I bought a setup from Larry a couple of years ago so he still does sell to the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

Etoille, I believe the HD-T are the model with triplet objectives, I forget the exact differences in specs apart from that.

I'm not particularly taken with cheap binoculars and have found even my old 7x Zeiss classics give better views on planets than cheap 15x70 binoculars. Perfect round discs, or phase and all four Galilean moons nice and clearly discernible

I think I'd rather spend the money on a telescope or save for Fujinons or similar.

Here is a quick review on some Strathspey 20x90's to give you an idea of the views you will get. There is a Part 2 at about post 13.

http://stargazerslou...t/#entry1191414

Personally I love binoculars for their apparent 3D, ease of use, no messing with eyepiece choice, relaxed viewing in a chair, better views under my heavily light polluted skies, easier to put away and call it a night when the clouds roll in, not a huge investment, great for daytime use, travel, holidays etc.

I sold the Strathspeys because they had infuriating sloppyness in the eyepiece crossbar, requiring me to constantly re-focus. The views were great. Since then I have tried a 120 Evo , a C6-N, and a Skymax 102 Mak. I am going back to some large binoculars as soon as funds permit.

They just seem to suit what I like to do and how I like to do it.

Paul

Here is a quick review on some Strathspey 20x90's to give you an idea of the views you will get. There is a Part 2 at about post 13.

http://stargazerslou...t/#entry1191414

Personally I love binoculars for their apparent 3D, ease of use, no messing with eyepiece choice, relaxed viewing in a chair, better views under my heavily light polluted skies, easier to put away and call it a night when the clouds roll in, not a huge investment, great for daytime use, travel, holidays etc.

I sold the Strathspeys because they had infuriating sloppyness in the eyepiece crossbar, requiring me to constantly re-focus. The views were great. Since then I have tried a 120 Evo , a C6-N, and a Skymax 102 Mak. I am going back to some large binoculars as soon as funds permit.

They just seem to suit what I like to do and how I like to do it.

Paul

I agree about the land use too, pop them in the car with a tripod and get great views over land they then serve a double purpose. I still use a scope but wouldn't be without my bins.

• 1 month later...

With the danger that I am repeating what others already stated: Big Binos are great as long as you have a great mount (I have http://www.universalastronomics.com/). The mount will set you back quite a bit more than the bino, unless you go for the premium models, which is not necessary. But the mount must be rock-solid, well balanced, and light in the movements along many axes.

Basically I do most of my visual work with my Orion 25 x 100 in the above mentioned mount, takes me less than 10 min to get set up. Great for all kinds of clusters, galaxies, nebula. For photography and for planets I use then my Equinox 120 on NEQ6.

Bino is outside right now, just one more hour and it will be dark. Am will be checking some nice objects in LAC, CAS and CEP!

One real advantage of large binos is their portability. Ive got a pair of Celestron 20 x 80s. Yes theyre heavy and you really need a tripod. But you can take them anywhere. So a quick look at the sky can be accomodated as can taking them on holiday. The moon is fantastic,as are some of the DSO's I have looked at.

Dave,

With the danger that I am repeating what others already stated: Big Binos are great as long as you have a great mount (I have http://www.universalastronomics.com/).

Which mount do you have? (Your link goes to the home page, not to a specific mount.) But I agree: UA mounts are superb (I have the T-mount). I see no point in buying a premium binocular then being unable to exploit its capability because of an inadequate mount -- UA has solved that particular problem.
The mount will set you back quite a bit more than the bino, unless you go for the premium models, which is not necessary.
Let me preface this by noting that your English is way ahead of my Finnish (which is essentially non-existent)! In English idiom "quite a bit" means "a lot". From the context ("unless..."), I don't think that's what you meant. :smiley:

I used my 15x70 HD (2.5kg) without tripod during my summer vacation (...). Work OK, but it the limit (and over for many).

I find my HD 15x70 easier than the lighter budget one to hold steadily for short periods:I suspect it is a "balance and inertia" thing.

I find the HD perhaps slightly more stable than the 15x70 Omegon (Revelation/Celestron clone, 1.4 kg), but the Omegon is a bit easier for longer sessions. Optically (and mechanically), there is no contest between the two: the HD shows far more detail, and has the brighter image, more contrasty image. My eldest (aged 10) had a lot of fun with the Omegon both freehand and on a regular tripod this summer (bagged 17 Messiers in one night, with just a little help from his dad). The younger one used the 7x50 I got for free (out of collimation, easily fixed), and bagged his first Messier (M31) as well.

Hi Etoille,

I have been looking into buying a pair of large (100mm) 90 degree EP observational binoculars and after a lot of searching (Internet and soul) have come to a personal conclussion that while they are a good idea there are a number of potential pit falls/obstacles to consider-a number of retalers in the UK and overseas will sell you the binoculars but don't expect the bespoke fork mounts to be included or even be available separately for the 90 degree binoculars types. A suitable mount/tripod will add hundreds of pounds to the overall cost of already quite costly binoculars for which you could buy a decent telescope and binoviewer. Secondly some observational binoculars don't take the 31mm ep's you expect (I found one site which stated a particular model took 34mm eyepieces-thanks at least for the 'heads up'). I don't subscribe to the 45 degree models which will still strain the neck looking at objects close to the zenith and I do prefer to observe standing up.

As a result of my investigations and questions to retailers I have decided not to pursue a purchase, maybe in time a supplier will sell the binoculars/mount/tripod together and maybe do a pre-delivery check on collimation just to take that worry out the gamble of buying expensive kit. I do look upon these large binoculars as a niche market which is a shame because the immersive nature of viewing using both eyes is a great plus. For now I will stick to my SCT and bino-viewer and use a pair of 10x50's for wide views.

All I would say is do some personal research before you buy as your circumstances etc. will be purely personal to you.

Good luck hunting.

Steve

Archived