NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first Mars

Viv

This was done last night

I love looking at planets, but really, really useless when it comes to imaging them.

This is the first time i've tried Mars, wanted to get this before, it's too far over & behind the neighbours ........

It's done with the good old SPC webcam, & TAL 3x, about 650 frames, through registax.

Capture16_05_201222_08_56cropped-b-1.jpg

If anyone has any hints on focusing for planets, through the webcam - please let me know :)

Thanks.

Really, really useless? I don't think so!

That is clearly Mars and you can clearly some detail.

I would post my last effort of a planet ... but I would be embarrassed as it is truly naff! :)

I agree, it's clearly Mars and the ice-cap is visible as well as the fact that it's partially in shadow now. I think it's a pretty good effort.

Unfortunately planetary imaging is almost the complete opposite of DSO imaging in that you really want as much aperture and focal length as you can stand and a focal ratio probably somewhere in the region of f/30 to f/40. An 80mm 'frac is really not the ideal scope to be trying to achieve that with :)

As regards focus, lots of people use a Bahtinov mask either on the planet or a nearby star to get focus. I tend to do it by eye using a motor focuser so I can sit at the laptop and twiddle with it until I'm happy.

Mars isn't a great target at the moment, but it's perhaps still the best option for smaller scopes that will really struggle with Saturn. It's not dreadfully long before Jupiter is back in the sky again though, and then I think the imaging frenzy will begin.

James

Thanks both.

An 80mm 'frac is really not the ideal scope to be trying to achieve that with ;)

Cheers James - oh you know, that just confirms I need a second scope for planets ! :)

Think later this year, i'll be looking ...............

Its a great shot.

When will Jupiter be in view from the UK ?

Thanks Ainsley :)

Looking at Stellarium, she'll be back mid August (if you can stay up late enough, rising at midnight)

.....if this is with the ED80 you have achieved a wondrous result Viv: the NPC, some detail and Mars gibbous phase at present are never aspects to be sneezed at.....and with the angular size of The Red Planet in the 8 arcsecond range I think you actually deserve a prize - congratulations for a fine first image..!:):icon_salut:;)

Archived