Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New ES 20mm 68 degree and new (old) ES 82 degree

Bart

Just received two new EPs from the US. I was waiting for the 30mm Meade 5000 series UWA but there was no sign of it showing up, so I cancelled the order ;) However, spotted the older version Explore Scientific 30mm 82 degree at a good price $190, went for it, and added a new 20mm ES 68 degree just for good luck, also at a good price $99, both delivered for an additional $32. They arrived yesterday, but we weren't at home so it went back to the post office. OF COURSE, last night was beautifully clear, and I kept cursing my luck, knowing my babies were sitting in the post office. My good wife collected it today but tonight's cloudy :D

However, when i opened the box, the eyes nearly fell out of their sockets! The 30mm is a monster :)!! Cant wait to get it in the scope under clear skies. Popped it into the focusser and it slid into itself. Needed to adjust the tension and now its fine. But, WOW, its big. The 20mm 68 degree is a lovely looking and feeling EP. Please let it be clear soon!

We don't do Coke in this house, so beans will have to do...

Behold the beast.....

post-24539-133877775466_thumb.jpg

post-24539-133877775473_thumb.jpg

I have bought quite a few bits and pieces from the US and as yet haven't been stung by customs. I don't know if its a case I've been incredibly lucky or if the Irish customs are a bit more lax in their checks. The only item I have ever been hit for import duties was a William Optics 2" diagonal. It came direct from Taiwan though and ended up costing £5 more than I could have bought it from a UK dealer :)

Importing stuff is always a gamble. The biggest being if it arrives in good order as if not your going to end up large time out of pocket returning it. As with any grey import if they develop a fault later down the line you are again going to end up high and dry. For the little amount you save on individual purchases I some times wonder if it is worth it. The best way is always if you know someone is visiting the US is to ask if they will bring them home. This way they can give it a check over and you have no risk of customs or postal costs added on. I have had a few imports myself but most of the time these are items you cannot find in the UK not because they are cheaper.

As Damo says, the Irish customs must pity us astronomers, as I've never been hit for anything. I've saved a mint by getting stuff from the US. No problems so far. I always look there first. We're short of Astro shops here, so we almost always have buy from abroad anyway

can't wait to use them

Bart

I would not advertise the fact too much as you may well become a middle man for peeps in the UK looking to avoid import duties :) I'm sure the second postage from Ireland would be far cheaper than the TAX & duties added to expensive eyepieces.

That's a monster of an eyepiece. I've heard that the old 82degree ESs are meade 5000 uwans in new clothes, so you got a good deal there.

Nice beans too :)

Thanks Chris,

I don't like to brag about my beans. The 30mm is actually there to put the beans in perspective .

Bart

Ive bought from America also and have never been hit with any import duty. Have fun with your new "grenade", Bart.

Thanks Paul, currently experiencing 'new astro gear' curse, desperate weather!

Bart

Archived