NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Real lesson in seeing

Bart

Got my first real lesson in seeing tonight . Recently found the Cats Eye Nebula, lovely and crisp. Tonight went back and could only see a bluish blob. No central star and no definition , should have known as Saturn wasn't offering up any decent views earlier. Put it down to the scope not cooled down. No, just plain bad seeing. Oh well. Good night nevertheless

Bart

It is indeed a problem. usually bad seeing coincides with good transparency so if there's no moon, it's often best to concentrate on low power galaxy hunting etc. the seeing does change often and sometimes by the minute so it's worth rechecking every now and again too. I saw the Cat's Eye Nebula recently for the first time - superb object!

• 2 weeks later...

As a beginner, I too am beginning to appreciate just how variable the 'seeing' can be even second to second. For instance, first view of Saturn 2 weeks ago. Full moon with Saturn just above it so I thought it would be pointless, but Saturn was crystal clear with 5 moons visible. Yet last night about midnight the moon was nowhere to be seen but Saturn was not as detailed and no moons were apparent.

Mind, the heat haze was probably to blame for that. I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for winter!

Mind, the heat haze was probably to blame for that. I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait for winter!

Amazing isn't it !

I popped outside at 10, saw how the first appearing stars were twinkling - no good.

Archived