Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Syntrek + EQMOD

jbrazio

Basicaly, the guiding software such as PHD watches the chosen guide star for movements and sends corrective movements (similar to pushing direction buttons) to the mount via the cameras direct connection (ST4).

Thanks. But how does the PHD software get the data from the guiding camera to apply the changes to the mount? is it through the main mount connection to the PC? In that case that cabe would be bidirectional right? i.e commands from the PC get to the mountm and the mount sends ST4 data back to the PC?

GUIDE(st4)........(st4)MOUNT(serial)........EQdir..........PC(EQMod)<>PHD

Is that it?

Steve

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basicaly, the guiding software such as PHD watches the chosen guide star for movements and sends corrective movements (similar to pushing direction buttons) to the mount via the cameras direct connection (ST4).

Thanks. But how does the PHD software get the data from the guiding camera to apply the changes to the mount? is it through the main mount connection to the PC? In that case that cabe would be bidirectional right? i.e commands from the PC get to the mountm and the mount sends ST4 data back to the PC?

GUIDE(st4)........(st4)MOUNT(serial)........EQdir..........PC(EQMod)<>PHD

Is that it?

Steve

Not quite it's really 2 seperate systems, the guidecam is already connected to the PC via a normal USB connection,thats how the picture gets to the software, the ST4 just relays the guide commands sent via the software.

For mount control it's PC/EQMOD/CDC -> EQDIR -> Mount - This controls the mount, nothing to do with guiding via ST4.

For guiding it's PC/PHD (USB) -> (USB) guidecam plus an ST4 cable between the ST4 port on the cam to an ST4 port on the mount to recieve the guiding commands sent via PC/PHD

Not quite it's really 2 seperate systems, the guidecam is already connected to the PC via a normal USB connection,thats how the picture gets to the software, the ST4 just relays the guide commands sent via the software.

For mount control it's PC/EQMOD/CDC -> EQDIR -> Mount - This controls the mount, nothing to do with guiding via ST4.

For guiding it's PC/PHD (USB) -> (USB) guidecam plus an ST4 cable between the ST4 port on the cam to an ST4 port on the mount to recieve the guiding commands sent via PC/PHD

Got it ! Thanks Simon - didn;t reliase there was a USB port on the guidecam as well as the ST4. That makes sense.

Rgds, Steve

Got it ! Thanks Simon - didn;t reliase there was a USB port on the guidecam as well as the ST4. That makes sense.

Rgds, Steve

You're welcome Steve. I can easily take a few pics of my setup including cables if you need them. The HEQ5 is a great mount and with an ED80 it's capable of class astrophotos.

• 2 weeks later...

aaaaaaargh

I'm going crazy!!!!

I got my HEQ5 Pro goto connected via synscan, RS 232 to Stellarium and it tracks and goto's nicely.

Then I installed the new ASCOM 6 Platform (I wanted to improve my polar alignment) and EQMOD drivers and they just don't find my mount????

Any idea why??

aaaaaaargh

I'm going crazy!!!!

I got my HEQ5 Pro goto connected via synscan, RS 232 to Stellarium and it tracks and goto's nicely.

Then I installed the new ASCOM 6 Platform (I wanted to improve my polar alignment) and EQMOD drivers and they just don't find my mount????

Any idea why??

You've removed the SynScan handset and replaced it with an EQDir cable?

aaaaaaargh

I'm going crazy!!!!

Any idea why??

Is it really RS232, or is it a USB to serial adapter? if so, the serial port may have changed number (check in your devices part of control panel / manage my computer)

my gooooood... this hobby can be so blumming difficult... you think you get a grasp on one thing and then you're completely lost with the next :D

ok, so in order to run ASCOM/EQMOD I need an EQDir cable right??

• 4 weeks later...

Got it finally set up. Turned out that I used a cheap RS232 to USB converter... Bought a pricier version which got me up and running.

CdC installed with catalogues.

Alignmaster installed.

Had a play with it the other night.

I think but, I need a game console handset because whenever I look at the screen to click the right button, I can't see anything through my finder scope because my eyes are no longer adapted. Difficult indeed!

Archived