Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red tree revisited.

I thought I would go back to an old photo that I'm not happy with. The concept was there when I shot it, doing a bit of long exposure (30 seconds) and some light painting with my tail-lights etc, but the end result came up short.

So, what I have done now is some creative 'shopping and a bit of a blend with a 4 minute tracked exposure of the sky instead.

A bit dramatic and well over the line between photography and art, but I had fun putting it together.

Baz.

DvlVT.jpg

Cracking bit of shopping Bazza

Who defines these lines... ?

Probably some stuffy old boys network...:)

If you like like your own images thats all that counts... if others do as well then that's a bonus...

Peter...

Very cool sentiment. I think I'll adopt it!

Cheers and thanks folks!

Baz.

Well Bazza, I'm a pro artist who's been practising my trade for a long time and have defied any of the "norms" of any pedantic prescriptions both of what's acceptable technically or aesthetically.....and that applies to mega-bucks public artworks (of which I have several commissions thereof in Adelaide) or those prints etc that I might sell for a hundred dollars or so: but there are aspects of composition etc that come into play whatever the subject matter or "style" (even one's own ultra-individual flavours!;)) that when played around with can result in a personally more satisfactory outcome.:D

What I could suggest is that in this basically wonderfull composition, the red lighting of the tree (some sort of Casuarina or native oak?:)) could be a little too strong and even, and might be better adjusted to the varied tones and colour composition of the remainder: I wonder whether you could consider using a layer mask (ie, create a layer with the levels adjusted lower, and put this as the mask to work back into to create a softer, more muted and varied illumination of the tree thereof).....this is only a suggestion - if you're totally happy it is entirely your own preogative to decide said and leave it this way....!:)

But you might find muting and varying parts of its' illumination really gels the whole composition...:)

.....thought I'd better be a bit more specific and give a VERY ROUGH & QUICK rendition of what I'm referring to Baz.....as I said, no offense or otherwise intended..!:)

This is with just one layer mask and quick selection levels alteration and took about 2-3 mins working on a jpeg screenshot.....if this is of any interest to you you could easily work aspects or all of the composition much more using unsharp etc masks as well, depending upon your own ideas - and again, it is only just a suggestion!!!;)

post-16205-133877775041_thumb.png

Well Bazza, I'm a pro artist who's been practising my trade for a long time and have defied any of the "norms" of any pedantic prescriptions both of what's acceptable technically or aesthetically.....and that applies to mega-bucks public artworks (of which I have several commissions thereof in Adelaide) or those prints etc that I might sell for a hundred dollars or so: but there are aspects of composition etc that come into play whatever the subject matter or "style" (even one's own ultra-individual flavours!:)) that when played around with can result in a personally more satisfactory outcome.:)

What I could suggest is that in this basically wonderfull composition, the red lighting of the tree (some sort of Casuarina or native oak?:)) could be a little too strong and even, and might be better adjusted to the varied tones and colour composition of the remainder: I wonder whether you could consider using a layer mask (ie, create a layer with the levels adjusted lower, and put this as the mask to work back into to create a softer, more muted and varied illumination of the tree thereof).....this is only a suggestion - if you're totally happy it is entirely your own preogative to decide said and leave it this way....!:D

But you might find muting and varying parts of its' illumination really gels the whole composition...:)

.....thought I'd better be a bit more specific and give a VERY ROUGH & QUICK rendition of what I'm referring to Baz.....as I said, no offense or otherwise intended..!:)

This is with just one layer mask and quick selection levels alteration and took about 2-3 mins working on a jpeg screenshot.....if this is of any interest to you you could easily work aspects or all of the composition much more using unsharp etc masks as well, depending upon your own ideas - and again, it is only just a suggestion!!!:)

Your suggestions are very good mate. All these things make me look at this photo again and again and ask myself, "How can I do this better?"

I seem to keep selling the original version, which is just a levels and curves adjusted 30 second exposure, but even though my customers seem to like it, I think I can do better. Sure, it's nice, but I think it lacks WOW.

Your suggestions and those of others will help me next time I reprocess this or go out and shoot it again.

Cheers and thanks!

Baz.

If I may comment, the red tree is awesome, however I feel that the red bleeds to much into the grass, there is a line under the tree which points to the middle of the picture I feel the red should stop at that point.

If I may comment, the red tree is awesome, however I feel that the red bleeds to much into the grass, there is a line under the tree which points to the middle of the picture I feel the red should stop at that point.

Noted and agreed. I feel like I have been flogging a dead horse with this one. I'm going to go out and shoot it again. I'm just not happy with it. Trying to rescue it is not the way I have been trying to improve my photography. I'd rather get it right in camera than resorting to too much digital manipulation.

Thanks for your input folks.

Baz.

I have to agree that the original shot is just fantastic. Whenever we 'Photoshop' a picture it will be with our interpretation of how it should look - others will rightly have their own views, but it is your picture and it is your view that counts the most, so stick with it. Well done :)

Archived