Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

canon 1000d mod help

Hi i have just removed the uv-ir filter from my canon 1000d as i only use it for astrophotography,I am looking to buy a light pollution filter,am i correct in thinking that if i buy the astronomik cls ccd filter that it basic returns the uv-ir back to as before mod,or dose it match baaders uv-ir filter replacement or just go for the cls version so would have no uv-ir protection dose this matter?.

If only the colour balance filter was removed, the remaining front anti-alias/dust shake filter acts as a UV-IR cut. No need for an additional UV-IR filter.

Light pollution filters are available from astronomik.

Yep the blueish filter just in front of the cmos sensor,I decided to fit a baader ir conversion filter from bern,on test have found i have 2 specks of dust somewere so will have to dissmantle and get magnifying glass out to see were they are,I will go for a Astronomik cls filter for the light pollution,I was going to just remove canons uv-ir filter and not fit anything in its place,but thought maybe if i dont have any uv ir protection it might cause problems and wasunt sure weather the astronomik cls ccd filter whitch is ir blocked was same as the original canon or baader,so took the safe option.

I have the same problem with my modded 1100D there's an annoying piece of dirt near the centre of the frame between the IR/UV blocking filter and the sensor (I've tried cleaning the outside of the filter). I was cursing myself for putting the IR/UV filter back and trapping a bit of dust. Without the filter I could clean the sensor itself from the outside - I do have a CLS-CCD clip filter so don't need the Canon really. The other imaging assembly I have has the full spectrum mod without either filter replaced and that needs the CCD filter version.

As I'm thinking of changing my cooling system to include one of the Peltier TECs (25mm square 5v 20W) inside the camera, I have this other sensor assembly already modified with a different cold finger, wrapped round to the back of the imaging board. So I'll be swapping sensors anyway. I'm putting up with the dark blob until then - the weather's awful anyway! So no AP.

Archived