NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stupid question about Visual Observing

Hi All,

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question but, i strongly believe the on real stuid question is the one that is not asked, so here goes.

Ok i used to have a Meade LX90 SCT on a fork mount, and viewing was fairly simple up-down-left-right etc, but not that i've changed to the Heq5 Pro equitorial mount i'm finding it really hard to use.

When i polar align my eyepiece is at eye level and in a easily viewable position, but when i tried to some other objects i found that the eyepiece was in some really akward postions & angles to the point where i had to kneel down and crane my neck or in other extremes where it was too high and unveiwable, with the only way of viewing the eyepiece would be to rotate the tube.

Where am i going wrong ?

Just for reference, my eyepiece on the tube is at approx 90 degree angle from the bottom mounting bar which i attach the scope to the mount.

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question but, i strongly believe the on real stuid question is the one that is not asked, so here goes.

There's no such thing as a stupid, or too simple to ask question on the forum.

Offering help and advice where we are each able to do so, is what the forum is all about. Nobody is going to mock anyone for asking a question, no matter how basic.

We all started at the bottom of the 'learning curve', and as such would have asked questions that now seem obvious, so ask away.

As Chris Tarrant says "the questions are only easy, if you know the answer".

Dave

Wow what a great idea KK

many years ago (more than i care to think about) i used to watch my mother doing embroidery

so i know exactly what hoops you mean

but i never would have thought to use one as a tube stop

yet it seems so obvious now youv`e mentioned it

off to the haberdashers this very day

:(:):lol:

mike

If you ever get a go-to system, they can get a bit disoriented if you rotate the tube too much. The embroidiery rings are a brilliant idea, however.

I know the problem you mean, and I partly solved it by buying a step stool from Argos to use when the eyepiece is up high. It also saves time fiddling with tube rings. Don't have any difficulty otherwise.

Being the 6'4" that I am, I dont' have a problem with height. It's the mid-heights that bother me - I have to crouch down and it plays havoc with my back... I've bought an ironing chair that has different height settings.

Of course ironing chairs and embroidery rings come in very handy in the overcast weather too... :)

... at least for me... :(

Andrew

I'm rotating mine on a regular basis,you dont need to slacken the rings so far back that the tube could fall,i just slacken mine far enough back until i can rotate the ota but the rings still have enough grip so the tube doesnt slip downwards,am i making sence here? :?in otherwords just slacken them enough so that you can get some movement when you try to turn the ota.

If you do a search for "embroidery" you'll find lots of tips. Seriously!

A hoop thingy is used by people doing embroidery and these can be fixed round the tube so that it doesn't fall out or slip down when you loosen the clamps.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I am using adjustable embroidery hoops to hold my dew shield (alright camping mat) in place

I'm rotating mine on a regular basis,you dont need to slacken the rings so far back that the tube could fall,i just slacken mine far enough back until i can rotate the ota but the rings still have enough grip so the tube doesnt slip downwards,am i making sence here? :?in otherwords just slacken them enough so that you can get some movement when you try to turn the ota.

Exactly what I do, and when I've just switched from an ep that weighs an ounce to one that weighs half a pound, I can work the tube along to keep it balanced fairy easily.

Archived