Observed Saturn but not the Cassini division

tonite was the best views of saturn i,ve had since i got my scope in feb (only got my 6mm e.p. 4 weeks ago so haven't had much chance to use it) everything was so much sharper than with supplied e.p's. titan, dione,tethys, rhea and i think enceladus. firast real good look at the cassini division and i thought there was a much fainter one inside although this could have been wishful thinking. mars was also showing the best detail i've seen. saw the icecap and a fair bit of varying shading so all in all it was a great night. i had plans of looking for m51 but was enjoying the planets too much.:)

Scott

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Saturn tonight and two moons. But I have a question about the Saturn image. It's pale yellow and so are the rings. Image was very clear and well defined, it looked almost like a cartoon cut out. Is it normal to see it as cream/yellow?

Saturn was sharp and clear last night using the 10" Dob. Decided to screw my binoviewers barlow (1.6x) into the base of the 8mm Ethos giving me 100 degree FOV at 240x.

Cassini division very clear together with markings on the planet. 5 Moons visible (Enceladus, Tethys, Dione, Rhea and Titan).

Mark

Much better viewing last night. Thought I could see cassini with my 127 mak and 8mm bst, even better but slightly fuzzy 12mm celestron xl and 2x barlow. Could make out some banding on surface or was it shadow of the rings? Not sure.

I saw Saturn tonight and two moons. But I have a question about the Saturn image. It's pale yellow and so are the rings. Image was very clear and well defined, it looked almost like a cartoon cut out. Is it normal to see it as cream/yellow?

That's how i see it too.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't see the division last night either but that may be because I was so excited by seeing Saturn for the first time. I did look hard though. I was using my 120mm refractor with a BST 8mm and 2x barlow (225x). I could see 4 moons though and Saturn was very crisp. I guess for me it was a combination of smaller aperture (less resolution) and seeing conditions.

I can highly recomend the BST explorer 8mm and for £41 I thick it would be hard to beat.

Archived