Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Longest exposure possible with single axis equatorial platform

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what the longest exposures I would be able to take with prime focus camera techniques using my single axis equatorial platform? Just I was thinking of using my mount and a camera to take images of pluto, M13, M57, M33, M81 etc., and was wondering if it would be worthwhile or not?

Any responses would be very greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks guys, I'm starting to go down the line of buying a camera to test it out, unless anyone knows why it wouldn't be a good idea? :)

Because you're starting on a dark path with a bottomless pit at the end :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked the polar alignment on my NEQ6 adjusted it so its about as good as it can get, and set the ISO to 100 and run off a 5 minute image, it had a tiny bit of star trail, 3 minutes appears good, 2 minutes or less would be pin sharp, but it does need to be accurate...

Archived