Skymax 150 pro or celestron C6

Hi all,

I have been using a Skywatcher 130 reflector for over a year now but would like to upgrade.

I'm interested in planetary and lunar observing and came accross these 2 OTA's on the FLO site.

I managed to pick up an EQ5 mount really cheap recently so that should cope with these OTA's I think.

I'd appreciate any thought you might have on these 2 scopes.

I did notice that the Skymax pro comes with a 2" diagonal all my EP's are 1.25" can an adaptor be purchased for this?

Thanks

Russell

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're choosing between Mak and SCT. From what I read when researching last year, both are good scopes, the Mak design has a slight advantage. What, I can't recall sorry!

Perry

The Mak has a longer focal length, leading to a slower focal ratio...

Skymax 1800mm (f/12)

C6 1500 mm focal length (f/10)

The Mak has the secondary fixed directly to the meniscus that cannot be adjusted, the SCT has a collimatable secondary.

I'm sure either will produce lovely views.

Thanks guys!

I checked the OVL website and it doesnt mention an adapter but you never know.

The FLO website mentioned that sometimes the Skymax comes with 1.25" EP's.

Any thoughts on which is the better scope?

Russell

Better... hmm... nope.. not a clue.. sorry :). In theory, they have the same light gather and resolving power... the Skymax will have a narrower field of view with the same eyepiece or camera. I think the Skymax has a slightly larger central obstruction (or is it the SCT :hello2::icon_scratch:, I get muddled) which reduces contrast a bit.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows/has used both.

Heres a side by side comparision between the C6 and the Orion badged version of the Skymax. Review C6 v Orion150

Peter

That's it: "tank-like ruggedness and relative freedom from collimation might opt for the Orion 150mm Mak-Cass"

Of course with any American review of SCTs, you expect a slight bias towards the abundance SCT market there :-)

Perry

Thanks for your help guys!

The review made interesting reading. I'm leaning towards the 150 Pro at the moment so it's good to know it comes with an adapter.

How are the views through the 150 Pro?

Just as an aside how would it compare to an Evostar 120 achromat?

Thanks

Russell

I did some head to head comparisons between a SkyMax 150 and the C6 SCT. Performance wise it was virtually a tie with the C6 having a very slight edge in contrast and sharpness.

The Skymax did indeed seem a bit agricultural in comparison to the C6. What really swung it for me though was the fact that the C6 was so much lighter and easier to mount. I tried it on a photo tripod and it worked very well. Makes a great little grab'n'go scope. The Skymax is a heavy scope for it's size and definitely requires a stronger mount. Also the C6 cools down faster than the MAK, in about half the time I found.

BTW a small SCT like the C6 hardly ever needs collimating as such a light mirror isn't as prone to being knocked out of collimation as that of a larger SCT.

John

BTW a small SCT like the C6 hardly ever needs collimating as such a light mirror isn't as prone to being knocked out of collimation as that of a larger SCT.

Thanks John.

I had read that you had to send these types of scope back to be collimated at the factory. Is it easy to do? I really don't like collimating my reflector but if it hardly ever needs done that's a bonus!

Would the same apply to the 150 Pro?

Russell

Just throwing another suggestion in the ring...

Have you considered the C8? It is more pricey, but you get a good bit more light collecting room over the C6, which can't hurt for DSOs. The secondary obstruction gets (proportionately) smaller with the bigger SCTs I think.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my C6, very light yet great views :hello2: I've just got the fever :)

I had read that you had to send these types of scope back to be collimated at the factory. Is it easy to do? I really don't like collimating my reflector but if it hardly ever needs done that's a bonus!

There are 3 screws on the cover over the secondary :hello2: (on the SCT)

I've not collimated my 6, but the pattern looks good when compared with the pics in the manual.

The C6 is very easy to collimate. When I had one I checked collimation when I first got it, and while it was well colimated I played around with the collimation until it was absolutely perfect and didn't have to collimate it again. Collimation is dne by adjusting the three small screws on the secondary cover.

The Skymax 150 is colimated by adjusting the primary mirror. I found it was harder to collimate than the C6 but very rarely needs colimating.

John

Thanks again guys!

I'm now leaning to the C6. The C8 would be great but a bit over mu price range.

If collimation isn't a problem and a quick cool down time it sounds good.

Would the supplied dovetail fit a skywatcher EQ5?

Thanks

Russell

Archived