Moving to a darker place

ChrisThePuma

Currently i live in the middle of Milton Keynes which is pretty light polluted. We are moving to a village just outside of Milton Keynes to a house that backs onto farmers fields - with clear horizon views to the south and west (away from MK) - cant wait to see how much difference it will make to my night views :-)

I went the whole hog but your move will make a huge difference. Looking at the DS observing forum I realize that with a 3 inch scope at a dark site I see what some find difficult in a 10 inch from polluted sites and my eyes are lousy. A dark site is, and by a mile, your number one 'bit of kit.'

Olly

Hopefully your move will make a difference to your astronomy enjoyment. My own experience is that you have to be a loooong way from towns to get a truly dark sky. Photographicaly I can pick up skyglow on my eastern horizon from the Midlands conurbation even though it's 80 miles away.

You should take some pictures at your present site and then redo at the new house to check what the change in LP levels are.

LP to the east of my site- nearest town 25 miles.

Dscf5419.jpg

I'm near you, in Gawcott, and even in the centre of the village, with lights, it's not too bad for viewing (not brilliant for AP), so I hope yours is better! It's not too bad an area generally.

Let me know how you get on.

Alexxx

When I moved last year the difference is amazing from being stuck in the town centre to having nothing but fields behind me the sky is nice and dark in the South East and great for astrophotography, darks skies are the biz

Archived