Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question about DSLR mounted on a Newtonian

Olorin

Hi,

I have just bought a new Canon 550D :hello2:

I have everything I need to mount it on my SkyWathcher 200P but...

The Camera's chip is exposed basically there is nothing preventing dust to arrive to the chip. I guess I need some kind of a filter to be placed on the SkyWather ring I connect to (there is a place to screw a filter) the question is what filter will fit me? My intention is to image both DSO's and planets (if different filters are a must I will have to live with it...)

Thanks

Dror

thanks for your replies, Chris sounds like a good advice. Any idea what is the size of this filter (I don'e think it's a standard 2" and it is definitely not 1.25")?

Reddoss I am well into webcams (check my images in the planetary imaging section) however DSLRs with video crop (such as the 550D) are well fit to handle also planetary imaging, thanks for your help

Dror

The chip isn't exposed to the air, it's already behind an IR filter and another screen that vibrates to remove dust, you can clean it with a jet of compressed air, I wouldn't worry too much :hello2:

I use an Astronomik CLS clip-in filter. Blocks LP as well as keeping dust out ans being a clip-in filter is always there when the camera is removed from the scope.

Archived