moon is blurry? :)

right so after months of resarch and learning about everything from scopes to nebulas, i decided to get a skywatcher skyliner 8". i finally took it out for a look last night and i pointed it at the moon and it was blurry through both eye pieces. :( i have a 25 and a 10 eyepiece. so was wondering if anyone can please help?

#

p.s it appears i should have took more time learning about eyepieces lol

many thanks marc

The other thing is, are you focusing it or just putting the eyepiece in and looking through that. You need to make sure the focus is good first and foremost (apologies if you have already done this, but sometimes newcomers forget to do so - I blame auto focus cameras myself :()

do you mean blurry (i.e. out of focus) or 'shimmery' like heat haze?

if the latter it could be that the telescope has not cooled enough (at least half an hour or so outside before you observe) or atmosphere related. also, when observing through the atmosphere, there's a certain amount of shimmer generally created by it. this is to some extent why stars twinkle and is normal.

right so after months of resarch and learning about everything from scopes to nebulas, i decided to get a skywatcher skyliner 8". i finally took it out for a look last night and i pointed it at the moon and it was blurry through both eye pieces. :D i have a 25 and a 10 eyepiece. so was wondering if anyone can please

I find that adding a drop of spring water to the single malt helps reduce this problem to a manageable level.:(

I viewed the moon at about 7pm last night. I did not wait to allow the scope to cool down so the images was "shimmery" like a heat haze, but it was still very sharp. The clouds came in after a few minutes so it never had a chance to cool down but I could see detail crystal clear. You must have a focus issue.

I used a 300 Dob and viewed it using the standard 25 and 10mm EP and a 2x barlow. The lower mag was perhaps better, but the detail with the 10 plus barlow simply amazing.

Could be you are using the 2inch and the inch and a quarter adaptors together instead of separately , could also be the focusing , check when you turn the wheel that the eyepiece moves up and down , if it doesn't then you need to release the centre thumb screw

Thanks to all for the help its is much appreciated. And thanks for not laughing at me :-D scuffervu are right I did have both adaptors on lol am just waiting for a clear night now. Many thanks guys

Easy enough mistake to make.:(

If I were you I try using it in daylight on a distant object if possible. The focus point will be different, but you'll get a nice feel for how slowly you need to focuser, and also how much difference in focus there is between the 2 eyepieces.

Helen

Archived