Calling all dob users...

Oh - is that right you can get a right angled finder that is correct in both axes ? - well well you learn something new everyday (of course it's called an erecting prism (facepalm!).

:) they take some getting used to after using a straight through finder for years. It's seems mad but it's true, to actually move it the normal way you look actually takes practice.:)

I wouldn't go back to a straight through one now though.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can get the azimuth setting circle here: Setting Circles - You are not logged in

Size it for your dob and take the file on disk to your nearest branch of Staples Office Supplies. They will print it on sticky back perspex for you for fifteen to twenty quid.

Add a Wixey magnetic angle guage and an Orion Raci (and or Telrad) and you'll be quicker finding stuff than someone with a goto scope. A cheap adjustable ironing chair from Amazon will save back and neck strain and make your life complete :)

That's Brilliant! :)

Thank You Very Much!

experienced the same problem, felt like im laying in same position as I fix a car.

When I get in this situation I look up and try to find a point I can recognize easily and use my 25mm EP as a finder. Rather awkward but saves me for breaking my back.

Alternatively I guess you could get a cheap laser for about a fiver and hold it parallel to your spotting scope until its fixed in the area you want to be - hardly need to bend down at all - thats the way I polar align my dob when finding North for the setting Circle zero degrees

A bit of controversy surrounding the use of lazers but if your responsible and careful I don't see any issues with them myself.

i`m new but i brought a cheap £4.99 green laser off ebay and stick it in place with some blue tack against the focuser line up with finder scope on a star then adjust the laser to point at it, fairly accurate, i use it all the time now and found m81 and m82 last night by using this and left turn at orion. no finder use at all, got fairly close then scanned the area with 30mm 2"

the only thing with sticking it to your OTA FFJ is I wonder how long the batteries would last in the cold- I know with mine I tend to keep them in my pocket to try and keep them warm - even then they can lose power or visibilty at least quite quickly

the only thing with sticking it to your OTA FFJ is I wonder how long the batteries would last in the cold- I know with mine I tend to keep them in my pocket to try and keep them warm - even then they can lose power or visibilty at least quite quickly

yeah batteries are a problem, i`ve been looking to find one that takes bigger batteries so they last longer, but not had any luck yet,

thinking of putting some insulation around it so they donn`t die so quick

There is a simple way to use a laser without freezing the batteries. Don't fit it to the scope, just fire it through the finderscope. This will point it in pretty well the right direction. This brilliant idea was hatched by a guest, Bernd Adams, and I have been using it for years. Thanks Bernd, it has saved my somewhat arthritic neck an awful lot of discomfort and speeds up alignment on the imaging rigs at night, too.

Keep the laser warm in your pocket. (I did hear that very powerful lasers might damage the reticle. Mine certainly hasn't done so.)

The Dobsonian Hole is not just neck-based, there is a point up there where it is literally impossible to track.

Olly

I find that tracking in the vertical with a dob needs you to turn the base without touching the tube (with the tube vertical). It's not easy but do-able in most cases. That said, I do sometimes wait half an hour for targets in that area to move a bit.

If you are going to observe up in the Dob hole, one tip I've used is to deliberately set up the base out of level, not wobbly but out of level, the further the better. This moves the Dob hole far enough away from the zenith to make normal Dob use possible.:(

Archived